Game-Labs Forum

Captured port management

There needs to be a way that neglected or unused captured ports revert back to the original owners. When a nation get conquered down to last port its members usually move on. Then the attacker moves on and we're left with a difficult time rebuilding a one port nation. Even undefended to recapture even some of its original ports will require the few players interested to generate millions of gold and at least 8-10 heavy frigates. Until which time they do all this and succeed no new players will likely be attracted to former conquered nations.

I suggest the following:

Conquered ports will have partisans. The plantation workers, merchant warehousemen and just plain people's that will want to rejoin their old nation. Keeping them either pacified or under thumb will require troops garrisoned, supplies and new fortresses maintained.

Home ports are free.

A captured port should require some sort of maintenance fee by the Lord Protector to keep the partisans in check and the new garrison manned. If this falls into neglect the port reverts back to the original owning nation. It should be just the same with Nuetral ports.

This will keep the game from stagnating in a region due to inactivity, reduce the number of "one man controls everything" lord protectors and allow conquered nations a way to come back into the game once forgotten. It may even help curb the "take every dot on the map" mentality currently dominant in the Alpha test.

Edited by Bach

Maybe not their original owners, I'd prefer for them to return to neutral

I thought of this and I kind of like it. The sticking point for me was even as Nuetral the handful of players trying to rebuild the nation would still have to collect the gold and fight the NPC towers. If this effort were reduced on Nuetral ports then they might be able to rebuild. But again it will only happen if players dont actively rebuild it.

Let's say Sweden gets into awar with the Danes and wipes them all out. Now the Swedes fir one reason or another quit the game or simply conquer their way to living in the Gulf of Mexico. The Danes are no longer a viable nation to play and won't recover unless somehow at dozen or more players, able to play on the last set port timers, able to amass a few million gold and best the npc towers in the battles do it. Until then it's just not attractive to new players that might have liked the idea of playing a Zdanish Captain. But if the ports naturally reverted on their own the nation would heal itself and be attractive again to new players after the Swedes were done using it. I don't think Nuetral solves this issue.

Edited by Bach

I support a gamemechanic when captured ports "flips" back after a certain time or due to other unpaid maintence or similar.

So at least the previous owning nation needs to recapture it, this way also expansion of big nations would be slowed down, as well as provide opportunities for nations players.

• Like 1

Possibly have the ports revert to neutral or their original port based on proximity to the capitol or a pocket of ports of the original nation?  In other words, don't have them all switch back to Danish if there's no other Danish port nearby, but if the Danes are in the process of making a comeback then there could be more possibility that instead of Neutral the port would change to Danish?

Possibly have the ports revert to neutral or their original port based on proximity to the capitol or a pocket of ports of the original nation?  In other words, don't have them all switch back to Danish if there's no other Danish port nearby, but if the Danes are in the process of making a comeback then there could be more possibility that instead of Neutral the port would change to Danish?

this would help out those smaller nation in a way.