Game-Labs Forum

[PvP 1:] Reaction to sinking danish ships, engaging a 3rd rate.

kirefla91

Though Kommandørkaptajn Pedersen usually were a calm, collected man, he found himself clenching his fast with pure rage and fury upon hearing the news of a drunken Swedish offensive within Dano-Norwegian sovereignty. How he longed for the days where the nations engaged with honest warfare, rather than the repeated skirmishes by foolish privateers; the shortage of direct conflict, had resulted in him being removed from the island of Christiansted, the standing orders of the admiralty had indeed placed him and his crew within the vicinity of Vieques,- To patrol and protect the trade shipping in the region.  He could but read with regret and horror, of how at least three Danish vessels had reached the bottom of the sea, while another actually fell into the hands of the swedes themselves; damn that foolish captain, he could at the very least have honoured his duty to go down, rather than to empower the swedes further with his ship! The survival of some of the crew were of no concern,- The northern regions of Europe never had a shortage of able bodied men longing for a life at sea; much like he, himself had when he was a younger lad.

Within long Kommandørkaptajn Pedersen found himself with other concerns, a large British vessel had been sighted just west of Vieques- A third rate the merchants claimed, and so Pedersen found himself hoisting all sails, even bringing his own handkherchief up the mast to acquire as much speed as he possibly could- And sure enough the third-rate came within sight, the masts towering up in the distant horizon, but fortunately enough Pedersen soon found himself joined for the approaching battle by two other captains- Another Trincomalee and a Surprise.

The three Danish ships engaged the lonely third-rate, the battle swift and decisive, Pedersen himself aiming at the sails of the enemy with his first volley, in order to cut down some of the rigging and slow down that beast of a ship,- while the other Danish Trincomalee engaged with the enemy’s port side, swapping broadside for broadside, the brit certainly appeared occupied with the engagement, allowing Pedersen an opportunity to sail up at the deadzone of the ship and tackle hard to port; guns roared out as his starboard batteries pummelled into the stern of the ship, swiftly accompanied by the sound of splintering wood and the cries of horror from the wounded and dying. The broadside was most certainly efficient, smashing the English captain’s quarters into a pile of splinters and broken glass.

Not a sound was heard on Pedersen ship as they then swapped position with the other Trincomalee, allowing the ally to fall back and alternate sides while Pedersen took the beating the brits could deliver; the first broadside had little effect, but soon enough the heavy shells began to explode and punch holes straight through Pedersen’s vessel, cutting down at sixty-nine of his crew in the end; and if such was not bad enough, the direction of the wind and the third-rate forced Pedersen to come up close, his starboard side soon smashing into the brit’s port side, and before anyone knew what was happening, the by now desperate brit threw lines and hooks over Pedersen’s Trincomalee, hauling him closer and closer; had it not been for the bosun’s bravery, the boarding would have been a success, the bosun rushed out, cleaving line after line while encouraging the crew to persist with it. Thankfully the wind soon shifted enough for Pedersen’s ship to turn to port and disengage, acquiring the distance he longed for between himself and the third rate.

Soon however the Danish captain, Dansehesten which manned a Surprise came sailing up along the starboard side of the third-rate, hammering him with the guns and receiving quite a beating in return,- Dansehesten’s aim was true however, igniting the enemy’s ship, setting it ablaze and shortly thereafter the brit sank to the bottom of the sea.

For a few moments the three surviving captains fished up the surviving British crew, toasted to each other’s health, and departed for their respective duties. 

Edited by kirefla91
  • Like 6

Well written, enjoyable and respectfull. Hat off to you, sir!

Thank you, thank you! I'd tip my own hat at you, but I seem to have misplaced it! Bit of a shame for it to be written for an NPC encounter, but hey- Didn't have too much action yesterday, so gotta write based on what you experience, eh? :P 

I can foresee a new "sport" being born,  fishing for Englishmen! ;)

Of course, they are after all only enemies while they're still afloat or with something solid beneath their feet- A true naval officer, or seaman in general, should always fish up others from the sea, granted that such does not pose too great a risk to his own crew and ship ;) 

• Like 1

I tend to agree! ;)

Good man! I may also add that it is in the modern international rules :P That you have to give as much assistance as you possibly can, as long as it doesn't put yourself in danger- I'm being educated as a master mariner at this moment, so yeah-.. Lots of laws and regulations.

• Like 1

Good man That you have to give as much assistance as you possibly can, as long as it doesn't put yourself in danger- I'm being educated as a master mariner at this moment, so yeah-.. Lots of laws and regulations.

You forgot to mention that it's the proper thing to do mate! ;)

Edited by Henrik

You forgot to mention that it's the proper thing to do mate! ;)

I did, because that's relative and depending on perspective- Granted, I agree with you, just stating that some might not for whatever reasons they may, or may not have! One can however not argue against the law being established! ;)

• Like 1

Of course, they are after all only enemies while they're still afloat or with something solid beneath their feet- A true naval officer, or seaman in general, should always fish up others from the sea, granted that such does not pose too great a risk to his own crew and ship ;)

Indeed, we now carry extra life boats with us at all times ;)

Very entertaining to read.

Edited by DrunkenSloth

Indeed, we now carry extra life boats with us at all times ;)

Very entertaining to read.

Good, there's the fighting after all, and then there's the aftermath,- the latter is the most costly and time consuming ;) 

Glad you enjoyed the read by the way- That's the intention! :)