Game-Labs Forum

Just purchased and fought first battle

Shiloh

I just purchased this yesterday and fought my first battle as the Union with a balanced AI. I won a minor victory the first few segments of the battle then on day 2, and during Pickett's charge earned a major victory. I've played a ton of TW titles over the last 3 years so I'm used to the battle mechanics and the maneuvering of a mass amount of troops over a large area. I've been a Darthmod user on Empire in particular and Nick made a broken game very playable.

I found this to be fun and challenging as well. I like the blue arrow movement feature and it served me well throughout the battle. The terrain threw me off a bit as I hadn't hit M to see the contours of the land and at times only 1/4 of my artillery was firing. I double-clicked on the units to see their field of view and that helped a bit. I've studied the Battle of Gettysburg extensively and that put me in a position of having good knowledge of how the Union army fought, and a succinct advantage over the AI. As simple as the units are and the terrain as well I really liked the look of the game. I would like to see some stats on individual units after the battle segments so that I know how well my tactics worked/didn't work regarding particular units.

Next time I think I'll try the Confederates or alter the Union strategy to not use the heights as effectively particularly on day 2 and 3. I finally figured out the 'cover' meter towards the end of the battle and that helped save me needless casualties by protecting my men from artillery. I'll chime back in as I gain some more experience but just wanted to recount my first experiences and thoughts.

Nice job developers and well-worth the 10 bucks already!

• Like 4

Hey Team and Community!

I've purchased the game a week ago, and since then been fighting a bunch of battles, mostly with Rebell troops, only once as the union(which was somehow boring since I like the Army of Northern Virginia more than the Army of the Potomac, froma historical point of view.). It's a great game that brings lots of fun, and this is the first time I play an early access game. It reminds me of Sid Meier's Gettysburg, which I played for weeks and months and years. Hope this game will achieve the same.

By now, there is nothing for me to complain which has not been mentioned yet, like artillery, battle delayed etc. But there is something i don't really get: On day two, Hoods and McLaws Divisions mostly show a very poor performance attacking Peach Orchard (especially Barksdales Mississippians) or Devils Den/Little Round Top. I know one or two things about the battle( ;) ), and they didn't retreat after being shelled two or three times by Yankee fire. Dunno if this is a problem in generall or if I just suck in tacticts and commandership  :P As in SMG those two Divisions performed better under my command.

Some "Style" suggestions: It would be very nice if there are more "special" Units. Iron Brigade, Bucktail Brigade nd Stonewall Brigade were great to read when I saw them first, so it would be really cool to read more famous names like Texas Brigade, Louisiana Tigers etc. Just seeing the Iron brigade move towards Archer's awakened my thirst for "revenge" for Archers defeat in the real battle which made me charging it furiously with Pettigrew and killing it to the last man. Nice! Also I'd like to see Division Commanders on the Field, Hood, Doubleday etc which would greatly improve Units performance on the field in my opinion.

Keep up the good work guys! Waiting for new updates fighting my way through the endless suck of Devils Den and the Wheatfield.

Stay tuned!

• Like 3

purchased the game a few days ago, and overall, i'd say its VERY well done. the only issue i have (a small one) are the victory points. i like how they highlight historically important parts of the feild, but in addition, i think places and pieces of ground should BECOME important as they are fought over and possibly change hands. civil war generals 2 did this, and i thought it a very good system. that opens the possibility that historical locations (important at the start of the battle) might, over time become either less or more important as the battle progresses.

• Like 1

~Hi Devs./Community~

Got the game today, just tried a quick battle...10 mins. Will get to learning more as the days roll by.

Why can't I copy n paste links/info into this forum? 

Wanted to copy n paste a small piece from a web site (Calvary at Gettysburg/Weapons/Tactics) with a link n no go?

What am I doing wrong/ 'Win7/64' 'IE11'. Thx for the help...

• Like 1

~Hi Devs./Community~

Got the game today, just tried a quick battle...10 mins. Will get to learning more as the days roll by.

Wanted to copy n paste a small piece from a web site (Calvary at Gettysburg/Weapons/Tactics) with a link n no go?

What am I doing wrong/ 'Win7/64' 'IE11'. Thx for the help...

I'm currently reading Sam Watkins memoirs they're really detailed and graphic haven't finished yet lol

~Hi Devs./Community~

Normally you should be able to, there are no other reports on this issue. You can copy straight the web address as a text and after saving the post it will be "transformed to a link" or use the link button to enter it. 

• Like 1