Game-Labs Forum

Players leveling the harbour defense

Last week I discussed the idea of that the forts would be leveled by players, on the Dutch TS, after having some good discusions about it I thought it was time to right it all down so here it is.

As we all know there are bigger forts comming soon, there are rumours that they are going to depend of the type of port (Shallow/deepwater/regional capital).

I had a diffrent idea:

Let the forts be upped by players, every port starts with the standard 5 martello towers.

After the players of the nation inserting X amount of rescources (Stone, wood, guns etc.) the harbour defense would go to level 2, this can be 1 bigger fort supported by 3 martello towers or 2 bigger ones, we will have to balance that out by testing.

then you can up your defense to level 3 and so on and I think the top level should be 1 El Morro fort to defend your harbour.

The land sigthed patch will make this very intresting.

Main arguments:

1. It fits in with the player based economy we are trying to go for.

2. By letting them be build by players the forts occur where they are needed (at the front line) and not where they are big and shiny but useless.

3. Makes nation effort more inportant and stimulates clans to work together to construct a fort.

Optional:

I am not sure how the fort will end up after the harbour is captured by an enemy nation, I have two ideas on this but feel free to post your own.

1. Total destruction after a harbour is captured.

2. The Fort can be repaired by the conqueror but at a very high cost.

Also there is an option to let the players repair the (damaged) fort with rescources, so the forts are rescource intensive, but this is just optional, let me know how you think about it.

If you got any better ideas then please write them down and post them here, If you think this idea is total nonsense then write a better plan down in your hate comment please.

Edited by bramluijken
  • Like 6

The process could also be automated a bit.  

Have a port tax that is automatically used to purchase upgrade materials.  

Set this port tax to be based on total ports held by a nation, as in the more ports held, the more you pay, and you end up with a national perpetual comeback mechanic that adds an expense to being part of a huge nation with all the advantages of multiple ports.

• Like 1

This would work well, but the cost of a large fortress should be astronomical and all others below scaled equally. In fact there should be unprotected ports also or ports with 1 tower on the outskirts of civilization. In addition fortifications should draw some sort of resources, tax, or docking fee to maintain (except of capitals to allow new players to be protected and not be taxed).

Edited by Rramsha
  • Like 1