Game-Labs Forum

Order delays for units

TheOldMan

Great game!  Exciting and fun, and 'feels' like a civil war battle.

Suggestion for improvement:  Right now there is no 'order delay'.  As soon as you click on a unit, it immediately follows your orders.  This of course, is quite unrealistic, especially for a civil war battlefield.  Perhaps the developer could improve the game by creating an order delay function.  For example, if the unit being ordered is within the sphere of influence of the unit's corps commander (at this point the only leader units in the game), then there would be a delay of five minutes (in game time/speed).  This would simulate the time it would take for the courier to reach the unit from the commander's position.  If the ordered unit is outside the sphere of influence, then there should be a delay before the order is implemented of perhaps ten minutes.

I'm looking forward to the various improvements as this game moves towards full release.  

Great game!  Exciting and fun, and 'feels' like a civil war battle.

Suggestion for improvement:  Right now there is no 'order delay'.  As soon as you click on a unit, it immediately follows your orders.  This of course, is quite unrealistic, especially for a civil war battlefield.  Perhaps the developer could improve the game by creating an order delay function.  For example, if the unit being ordered is within the sphere of influence of the unit's corps commander (at this point the only leader units in the game), then there would be a delay of five minutes (in game time/speed).  This would simulate the time it would take for the courier to reach the unit from the commander's position.  If the ordered unit is outside the sphere of influence, then there should be a delay before the order is implemented of perhaps ten minutes.

I'm looking forward to the various improvements as this game moves towards full release.  

Never thought about that, but that would add another element to the game that would for us veterans of Realistic Civil Warism to love.

OK first post here. It's been only a few days ago since I first noticed this game. Back in the last century ;-) i played a lot of SMG.

The gameplay videos I saw  of Ultimate General got me very interrested, but  instead of buying straight away, I decided to read foras for info, issues, current state of game etc.

These posts backing order delayes are the kind that instantly moves my hand away from the "BUY" button.

I do not wish to play a game where theres any kind of delay between my ordering/clicking.

The game I saw on the video's seems great for a fluid game, not too full of weird complicated rules and mysterious "non-movements".

(did the game catch my click? does it lag? I missed clicked, now when I issue the correct click order do I have to what 2x currior arrivements??)

Theres a certain point where too much added realism strangles fun in games, and from what I have seen so far, the game has the right "flavor" for me.

I didn't buy it today, because I got a little worried that someone could convince developers to push the game in the wrong direction, where the game has to be slowed down in order to take in a lot of simulation stuff.

I want a game - not a simulation!