Game-Labs Forum

How to make long trips more fun

Like a lot of captains out there, i find sailing 1 hour in open sea with nothing in our view except the sea and some beautiful sunsets quite boring.

I've thought of a few ways to make those trips more exciting :

• First when we are in open sea with no towns near us and no enemies visible we should be able to accelerate our speed : x2, x3, x4 BUT in that case if any enemy is nearby (and the range grows with the speed) it launches automatically a battle with the positions like a PVE mission
  • Real storms would be a nice addition with damage to the ship, and forcing us to go in one direction so that we could be lost (and maybe loss of our course ?)
  • Encounters with PVE trade convoys with great riches inside
  • Attacks from NPC (especially while accelerating speed)
  • Damage from hitting shalllows (the longer you stay on those shallows the bigger the damage)

Please tell me what you think

• Like 1

I have wanted to suggest PVE trade convoys that would be something very cool and fun to do as traders could be fleeing while other ships attack you. You would need a group of players to capture the convoys or they will get away because of the ones attacking you. For the other suggestions I believe storms that dealt damage would be very nice and could add a benefit of catching more fish inside of the storm. 

Edited by Lord Gud

• First when we are in open sea with no towns near us and no enemies visible we should be able to accelerate our speed : x2, x3, x4 BUT in that case if any enemy is nearby (and the range grows with the speed) it launches automatically a battle with the positions like a PVE mission
  • Real storms would be a nice addition with damage to the ship, and forcing us to go in one direction so that we could be lost (and maybe loss of our course ?)
  • Encounters with PVE trade convoys with great riches inside
  • Attacks from NPC (especially while accelerating speed)
  • Damage from hitting shalllows (the longer you stay on those shallows the bigger the damage)

The current OW sailing is very fast, like a high powered motor boat skipping across the waves.   I find that I have to pay very close attention to spot enemies approaching.  It's already pretty frantic to keep a ship's log and stay alert to danger.   If the speed was increased  as drastically as you have suggested the whole sailing experience would just be a wild blur of rocket pack vessels darting here and there at blinding velocities.   The sailing would be just no fun at all.   Speed should not be increased at all.  Better to wait for legends if you hate sailing rather than wrecking sailing for everyone else.  Long sails are part of NA.

The devs have decided that storms will not be implimented.  The current game won't handle it.   Too bad.  I would love to see the areas of open ocean far from land be prone to storms that dragged players into a Storm Instance and could damage sails, rigging, masts, hulls, and the crew.   Sailing skill would be required to avoid capsizing or sinking.   But it's not going to happen.

It would be cool to make limited cargo transfers at sea.  But transfering huge weights of goods on the open ocean might be very gamey.  Perhaps our naval historians can tell us if it was done or is feasible

I've wondered why enemy ships always sail past.  uninterested.

Damage from rocky shores,  and running aground in muck, sand. etc seems like a no brainer.  I think the game must be limited preventing it.

Edited by Macjimm