Game-Labs Forum

Questions about capturing units

alucardpg

I have two quick questions about capturing units.  

1.  Is 1000 the maximum number of recruits you can get from capturing units?  What I mean is this; during a battle I captured over 2000 enemy troops, but I only got 1000 troops from the prisoner exchange at the end of the battle.  Is this a glitch or is 1000 that maximum?

2.  I know this has been asked before, but I have not seen the thread since the new patch about this question.  Is capturing units random or is there some method?  Sometimes a unit will charge me and it will surrender without me counter-charging it.  On the other hand, I will have 5 cavalry units running down a routed infantry unit, and the unit won't surrender, they just shatter (removed from the game).  It seems like the best way to get them to surrender is to trap them against a river then charge.  Is there a formula or is it just luck?  What do you guys do?  

Thanks.  

12 hours ago, alucardpg said:

I have two quick questions about capturing units.  

1.  Is 1000 the maximum number of recruits you can get from capturing units?  What I mean is this; during a battle I captured over 2000 enemy troops, but I only got 1000 troops from the prisoner exchange at the end of the battle.  Is this a glitch or is 1000 that maximum?

2.  I know this has been asked before, but I have not seen the thread since the new patch about this question.  Is capturing units random or is there some method?  Sometimes a unit will charge me and it will surrender without me counter-charging it.  On the other hand, I will have 5 cavalry units running down a routed infantry unit, and the unit won't surrender, they just shatter (removed from the game).  It seems like the best way to get them to surrender is to trap them against a river then charge.  Is there a formula or is it just luck?  What do you guys do?  

Thanks.  

1. Captured troops are capped at 1,000, this happened very early in development when Rebel's were adding 5-6,000 in manpower after every major battle. 

2. There is a formula for surrendered troops, based on when they are surrounded or in danger of being wiped out totally they will surrender. A lot of it has to do with morale, but the only two people who know the exact formula are Sterner and Dartis. What do I do? Keep killing them till they break, shatter or surrender. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

... 2. There is a formula for surrendered troops, based on when they are surrounded or in danger of being wiped out totally they will surrender. A lot of it has to do with morale, ...

Unless it's artillery, in which case the artillery crewmen never seem to surrender but they will fight till they shatter and however many survived the shattering can be seen skeddadling from the field.

What's the maximum surrender you guys have ever gotten?

One time at Gettysburg, I was pushing my way up Big Round Top from the south. I captured both Round Tops and the peach orchard, but I never dislodged the Union brigade at Devil's Den. They were completely surrounded. I rushed my 3rd Texas Brigade down from Big Round Top, and when they turned to fire, I nailed them from behind with Jeb Stuart's cavalry. They surrendered on the spot.

Over 1,200 bluecoats, still in good condition, with their leader alive. I have no idea what caused it.

Copy and pasted my answer from Steam, same question (and probably the same person).  Just so you folks over here can get the same information. :)

1. Yes, that's the max. Can't get more than 1000 troops in return. A bit meh, but what can you do?

2. You can capture units easily if they're low on base morale (meaning they have to have taken some considerable casualties before then) and current morale, if they're engage in melee, getting shot at from the flanks or rear, and if they're surrounded. Doing all of that would make it much easier to capture brigades, especially if they're surrounded.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

1. Captured troops are capped at 1,000, this happened very early in development when Rebel's were adding 5-6,000 in manpower after every major battle. 

2. There is a formula for surrendered troops, based on when they are surrounded or in danger of being wiped out totally they will surrender. A lot of it has to do with morale, but the only two people who know the exact formula are Sterner and Dartis. What do I do? Keep killing them till they break, shatter or surrender. 

AB, You amaze me with your simplicity in answer and.........Ruthlessness!! :ph34r:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

2. You can capture units easily if they're low on base morale (meaning they have to have taken some considerable casualties before then) and current morale, if they're engage in melee, getting shot at from the flanks or rear, and if they're surrounded. Doing all of that would make it much easier to capture brigades, especially if they're surrounded.

That's a lot of "Ifs" in that statement Soldier!  But that's why you are the Soldier and we ain't!!! ;)

Edited by civsully1