Game-Labs Forum

How Did Ship Get Into Fleet - Round 2?

BK-KnightRider

Peter Goldman:

"1. When you add a ship to fleet, you must always assign crew on fleet ship before undocking (there's warning message)

2. After you undock, you can see BR that indicates you're not just in a cutter

3. You should feel difference in sailing speeds Cutter + Indiaman"

#1 - Clearly you don't understand the concept of habits and how it is possible for the human brain can multitask and then when one is distracted by or focused something else, or just plain tired, can do routine things automatically (i.e. just out of habit) without one even realizing it.

#2 - ROFL  Yeah, right, that is the most obvious indication that we have a fleet ships.  Yep, the developers can't possibly think of and implement a better proactive and obvious reminder. [extreme sarcasm off]

#3 - ROF Since I am not actually sailing a ship and since I don't have a virtual reality pod to simulate movement I can't "feel anything" regarding differences in speed.  In fact I have NEVER noticed, i.e. "felt," any difference in speed when I have had a fleet ship.

You seem awfully desperate to rationalize a way to dream up red herrings and straw men and false dilemmas to avoid admitting that the developers can actually do something to improve the game to make sure nobody can ever easily make this same mistake again.  You do understand the fact/truth/reality that many mistakes are a combination of BOTH human error and design flaws, right?

Finally, exactly how was I even able to leave a foreign port in a combat ship?  The basic cutter is not a trader because it is a combat ship, and supposedly we cannot leave a foreign port in anything other than a trader while flying a smuggler's flag.  Not only was I NOT flying the smuggler's flag, I was not skippering a trader.  Let's see you rationalize this away.

============================================================

Lord Bomgordel:  "Yup, my guess is this was 100% his own hello kittyup."

Utter nonsense.  Nice try with the lame false dilemma.  This happened because of BOTH my mistake AND a design flaw in the game.

Edited by BK-KnightRider
Add additional details.

10 minutes ago, BK-KnightRider said:

#1 - Clearly you don't understand the concept of habits and how it is possible for the human brain can multitask and then when one is distracted by or focused something else, or just plain tired, can do routine things automatically (i.e. just out of habit) without one even realizing it.

How many warnings do you want? It's going to be extremely tedious to leave port if we have to click through 10 warnings first. You already say that you click through the warnings you get by habit without reading them. How are more warnings to click away mindlessly going to help?

Let's make it a warning like the one we get when deleting an outpost... To leave port you would have to click yes, and then write 'leave'... Would that solve if for you?

16 minutes ago, BK-KnightRider said:

#2 - ROFL  Yeah, right, that is the most obvious indication that we have a fleet ships.  Yep, the developers can't possibly think of and implement a better proactive and obvious reminder. [extreme sarcasm off]

You can also check if you have fleet in OW by clicking the "Manage" button in the UI on the left side. 

And if you're sailing a cutter and the UI displays your BR as more than 30, then it is pretty obvious that you have a fleet with you.

21 minutes ago, BK-KnightRider said:

#3 - ROF Since I am not actually sailing a ship and since I don't have a virtual reality pod to simulate movement I can't "feel anything" regarding differences in speed.  In fact I have NEVER noticed, i.e. "felt," any difference in speed when I have had a fleet ship.

If you've played this game a little bit, you quickly learn the "feel" of the different ships' speeds and sailing profiles in OW. When sailing a Fore and Aft-rigged ship you should easily notice the difference if you have square rigged ship in your fleet.

• Like 1

Just now, Anolytic said:

How many warnings do you want? It's going to be extremely tedious to leave port if we have to click through 10 warnings first. You already say that you click through the warnings you get by habit without reading them. How are more warnings to click away mindlessly going to help?

Let's make it a warning like the one we get when deleting an outpost... To leave port you would have to click yes, and then write 'leave'... Would that solve if for you?

You can also check if you have fleet in OW by clicking the "Manage" button in the UI on the left side. 

And if you're sailing a cutter and the UI displays your BR as more than 30, then it is pretty obvious that you have a fleet with you.

If you've played this game a little bit, you quickly learn the "feel" of the different ships' speeds and sailing profiles in OW. When sailing a Fore and Aft-rigged ship you should easily notice the difference if you have square rigged ship in your fleet.

Where do I say anything about wanting a warning that requires us to click something?  A "warning" can be nothing more than an OBVIOUS notice in the UI that reminds us that we have a fleet ship.  When in port the most obvious place to put such a warning/notice is right under or next to the button for leaving port to enter the OW.  Another warning similar to and maybe even more obvious than the Smuggler's flag notice can appear on the screen while sailing.  Nice try with this lame straw man.  WHY are you people so desperate to rationalize away this issue?

Nice try with the second straw man, and slippery slope, and false dilemma.

The next suggestion does NOTHING to prevent an easy to prevent player mistake.  What the frak is wrong with implementing REASONABLE methods to make this game user/player proof as much as possible?  What do you people have against the developers doing what they can reasonably do reduce if not eliminate preventable mistakes and player frustration?  WHY in the world are you people so eager/willing to let good enough get in the way of better and best?  And no, these are not rhetorical questions.  I honestly cannot comprehend the thinking/motivations behind the rationalizing.

ROFL  There is NOTHING obvious about that little BR number.  Indeed, I pretty much hardly ever look at my own because I care only about the BR of a potential target.

I have been playing this game for more than 18 months.  I don't "feel" anything and I don't notice anything more than when I am going faster or slower as the wind direction changes or IF my ship is grossly overloaded with cargo.  But the marginal difference from a fleet ship?  That is a ridiculous rationalization to desperately fabricate a lame straw man.  But hey, if you can really "feel" the difference between 12.5 knots vs 12.8 knots or even 12.5 knots vs 13.5 knots then more power too you.  That is VERY impressive.  Too bad we can't do a scientifically valid test of your super feeling powers because frankly, I don't buy it for a second.

2 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Do we need 20 warnings when doing every action?

1. Are you sure you want to leave port with fleet Indiaman?
  2. You forgot to put crew on fleet ship
  3. You forgot to put cannons on fleet ship
  4. You forgot to put repairs on fleet ship
  5. Type in chat window "I am not distracted and this is not game's fault, I am making 100% sober decision now"
  6. Type in your password
  7. Click confirm

Does it sound like a perfect game design for you?

ROFLMAO  Your rationalizing with lame straw men and a slippery slope fallacy are hilarious.  Your dishonest distortion of my position is pathetic.  Apparently you are one of the those "If it isn't my idea it's a terrible idea" kind of people.  I bet you HATE brainstorming sessions.

Edited by BK-KnightRider

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

This guy claims to be playing 18 months and doesn't know what sailing profile is, he compares the speed of basic cutter to indiaman and says it's hard to 'feel' it in OW differently 😂

WHERE in the world do I say I don't know what a sailing profile is?  This claim is utter nonsense.

WHERE in the world do I compare the speed of basic cutter to the speed of an Indiaman?  This distortion is also utter nonsense.

There is no FEELING to this game.  There is only seeing and hearing.  I don't see or hear any discernable difference between a ship sailing in the OW with no fleet verses the same ship sailing in the OW with a fleet.  Now, on a real ship at sea I most certainly could feel and here the difference between the ship doing a 2/3 bell at 10 knots verses the ship doing a full bell at 20 knots or a flank bell at 25+ knots.  I could feel and hear the difference between doing a 1/3 bell at 5 knots verses backing down at 5 knots.  And when I was in the engine room I knew what bell we were steaming just from the sounds of the machinery and the vibration of the ship.  But in this game I don't "feel" anything and I don't see the imaginary difference you are inventing.  A ship sailing alone "feels" exactly the same to me as the same ship "feels" if it has a fleet.

BTW, my birthday is 3 JAN 16 and I have 3188 hours playing this game.  Nice try with the projecting to fabricate a lame genetic fallacy.