Game-Labs Forum

Inverted Artillery Battery Performance

The Soldier

Probably. The battery is going to be more or less useless on balance once you consider scaling and disproportionate ammo used for mediocre results. You could also kit them with 6pdrs and deliberately put them on the front line so they take casualties on purpose (and change their officer to someone more expendable).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Probably. The battery is going to be more or less useless on balance once you consider scaling and disproportionate ammo used for mediocre results. You could also kit them with 6pdrs and deliberately put them on the front line so they take casualties on purpose (and change their officer to someone more expendable).

That's a really good point Hit...I'll write this little gem down!!! Thx.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Sykes said:

Well, The Soldier - is it time to fire up the case study/data analysis again on the 20pdr Parrots?

Indeed it is. :) And what's more, I'm at the perfect place and time to test it - defending Fredricksburg from the Federal hordes.  I'll do a re-test of battery size as well as testing 20pdr Parrotts, although it doesn't look too good from a short experience at Cold Harbor with a couple batteries.

Edited by The Soldier
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

Indeed it is. :) And what's more, I'm at the perfect place and time to test it - defending Fredricksburg from the Federal hordes.  I'll do a re-test of battery size as well as testing 20pdr Parrotts, although it doesn't look too good from a short experience at Cold Harbor with a couple batteries.

I look forward to your debrief.  I'm hoping well see better artillery/battery performance.  Stupid question; do we have to re-start the campaign to see the updated changes? I'm seeing some glitches with no generals/weapons in the govt reward section after Chickamauga...

39 minutes ago, Sykes said:

I look forward to your debrief.  I'm hoping well see better artillery/battery performance.  Stupid question; do we have to re-start the campaign to see the updated changes? I'm seeing some glitches with no generals/weapons in the govt reward section after Chickamauga...

Already known as a bug.  Looks like you'll have to restart the campaign to get your Government buyables after Chickamauga.

Have you guys looked at the Weapons Charts done by Tokiedian?  If so do you see correlation with the charts and your own observations in your own artillery usage?

Soldier, when you do your retests I look forward to your assessment on battery size. And I've begun to wonder if the battery size in terms of effectiveness/damage depends on the cannon type???

In the early part of my playing this game I thought "more was better" and maxing out my batteries. Then I read that probably isn't the case and that  a 6-10 gun battery is almost as good. Anyhow look forward to reading more about your results!  Thx