Game-Labs Forum

Finish the Mission or Continue to Fight Fiasco

civsully1

Ok so playing 2nd Bull Run as CSA at BG level. So I do great with Part/Phase 1 of the battle and hold Browner's Farm. When the timer reaches 0 I get the pop up box asking if I want to finish the mission or continue the fight? So I usually just finish the mission and proceed to the next day.  Now the massive union units appear in Part/Day 2 fine. With my new reinforcements I deal effective counter attacks from the west almost to the middle of the original battlefield. I have a fresh 2000+ brigade with supply wagon almost to Browner's Farm to relieve the original defenders battered some out of ammo and another 2000+ fresh brigade almost to the crest of the undefended southern most ridge, Chin. Then the pop up box appears asking me if I want to finish the mission or continue the fight?

So without thinking! And without knowing what would happen next, I click on finish the mission. Bam. All my reinforcing brigades (and Supply Wagons) are back along the west edge again! All the ground I had gained, all my new reinforcements were back where they started! I had no clue. So I had to fight all the way back to where I was previously while losing more men then I had too. The decision to "continue the mission" probably cost me 2000 more casualties.

So what would have happened if I hadn't hit the finish the mission choice and instead selected continue the fight? Stupidly on my part I forgot to hit save before making the choice so its too late to go back and seen what would have happened. Unless I replay the entire battle. So if someone who selected continue the fight could let me know how it went going that pathway I'd appreciate it.

I also noted that the majority of the union forces on their right flank never got back into the fight (thank God). I guess I don't understand that part either. Anyhow big lesson learned for this newbie. Save the game before making that decision! Thanks for letting me vent! :angry:;)

Good question I actually never thought that capping the farm could end the battle earlier. Not sure it's the case however. Imo the best move at 2nd bull run is to not counter-attack the Union and calmly wait inside the fortifications for the battle to end. Best way to minimize losses while still getting the victory (provided you didn't suffer too much casualties originally). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Col_Kelly said:

Good question I actually never thought that capping the farm could end the battle earlier. Not sure it's the case however. Imo the best move at 2nd bull run is to not counter-attack the Union and calmly wait inside the fortifications for the battle to end. Best way to minimize losses while still getting the victory (provided you didn't suffer too much casualties originally). 

After the Holding the Farm segment I also elected to Finish the Mission as I had achieved the objective without further much to be gained. Then onto Day 2. Towards the end of that part I elected to have my newly arrived reinforcements take out 3 union brigades with arty that were trying to flank the CSA right. So my reinforcing brigades tore the union troops to complete losses and advanced towards the Bull Run. They had made great movement to the middle of the battlefield routing the scattered union brigades. Meanwhile my units below Stony Ridge slowly withdrew to the woods up top repulsing wave after wave of union brigades. I think with the "almost arrived" fresh brigade and supply wagon I could have held the line better. But I'll never know now. I just wish I hadn't forgotten to hit save then I could have found out..."what if"!  I was just to tired and exhausted towards the end I just wanted to be done! :D

• Like 1

To answer your questions, it allows you to fight for a few hours longer if you wanted more time to thrash the Union, both at Brawner's Farm and the 2nd Day.

You can mop up quite a few units as CSA at Brawner's Farm if you do a few... exploits that I won't detail here. :rolleyes:

The more you kill at Brawner's Farm on the first day, the fewer brigades you have to fight on the right flank on the second day; if you nearly wiped out the Union at Brawner's Farm, you can use the entire right flank to envelop the Union Center and Right.

13 minutes ago, Wandering1 said:

To answer your questions, it allows you to fight for a few hours longer if you wanted more time to thrash the Union, both at Brawner's Farm and the 2nd Day.

You can mop up quite a few units as CSA at Brawner's Farm if you do a few... exploits that I won't detail here. :rolleyes:

The more you kill at Brawner's Farm on the first day, the fewer brigades you have to fight on the right flank on the second day; if you nearly wiped out the Union at Brawner's Farm, you can use the entire right flank to envelop the Union Center and Right.

Got it Wandering and thanks for the info!

This teleportation back from hard gained positions thing must be fixed.

It happened to me at Chickamauga as CSA and my exhausted troop had to advance again towards where I was before. Happily enough I had wiped most Union troops so this was still possible.

Were we able to camp on the spot like you could in Civil War Generals, I imagine we'd already be spawn camping the enemy. Especially on Stones River as CSA.

More likely than not it won't really change; it just means one has to take the placement into account as to whether one pushes or not on the following days; especially considering for whatever reason, condition does not reset between days.

You really have to think about the teleportation between days as returning to camp. It wouldn't make sense for both armies to just plop down where they stand if they are engaged in melee. I understand the frustration when playing this for the first time though. When you do a Union run through, you will probably be less than pleased when Shiloh happens...

sometimes we should click the finish button : If you have achieved the goals to have a victory that gives you 12k men and 150k gold and lost only 8k men, you are in the net 4k recruits... to keep fighting might lead to you wiping out the ennemy and causing 30k extra losses, but if it comes at the cost of even only 5k losses for you, you have put yourself in negative territory after the battle an will suffer from having an army that is getting smaller !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wright29 said:

You really have to think about the teleportation between days as returning to camp. It wouldn't make sense for both armies to just plop down where they stand if they are engaged in melee. I understand the frustration when playing this for the first time though. When you do a Union run through, you will probably be less than pleased when Shiloh happens...

Thanks W29! I just hope I survive my first go around as the CSA!!!! ;)

On 3/24/2017 at 0:57 AM, Wright29 said:

The frustration is not just on the first time through, and it gets worse as you move up in difficulty level. First, no Civil War army would ever give up a huge tactical advantage "returning to camp". Second, as a game it is very, very uncool to arbitrarily teleport the player from a good position to a bad one, especially when it involves taking away hard-won victory points and/or scattering divisions to the wind. It feels petty and mean, especially when it's obvious that the game can save the state of the battlefield between phases. And functionally, part of the real pleasure of campaign mode is having the battles develop differently from the historical battles; this is taken away when the battles are arbitrarily returned to a particular state between phases. And finally, mechanically it makes no sense - how did those troops get there? In some cases, I've seen troops teleported miles across the battlefield, with no Condition loss or other effects. It ruins the immersion.

• Like 3

it's true that in second Bull run for exemple, I don't see why the game couldn't just save the situation at the end of the first day and then start it again for the second day with the possible extra troops that weren't there already on the battle field being given the more bland pre planned positions.

17 minutes ago, veji1 said:

it's true that in second Bull run for exemple, I don't see why the game couldn't just save the situation at the end of the first day and then start it again for the second day with the possible extra troops that weren't there already on the battle field being given the more bland pre planned positions.

I think it would be better for reinforcements to enter the battlefield from their particular direction - I don't think any units should simply be placed in historical positions. The funny thing is that the game generally does a really good job of this; it only falls apart in particular phase changes in a handful of grand battles. I think having the reinforcements arriving makes the battles more realistic - Gettysburg, for example, was largely driven by when and where reinforcements arrived.

• Like 1

True, have the night stop the battle in the positions the troops are in and reinforcements coming in via a map edge as usual. It would be nice if troops learnt about fastest way to a point (ie through roads) though, it would save some micromanagement.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aetius said:

I think it would be better for reinforcements to enter the battlefield from their particular direction - I don't think any units should simply be placed in historical positions. The funny thing is that the game generally does a really good job of this; it only falls apart in particular phase changes in a handful of grand battles. I think having the reinforcements arriving makes the battles more realistic - Gettysburg, for example, was largely driven by when and where reinforcements arrived.

AMEN!