Game-Labs Forum

Make capturing ports actually matter.

Currently, I can capture traders, never buy anything from the port, never visit another port (aside from capital) and build anyship i want. What is my motivation to capture a port?

At the moment I think they're just cosmetic. Unless I as an individual gain a benefit I see no pragmatic reason to invest the gold to capture one.

It really doesn't matter what the benefit is, cheaper prices/repairs/kits/tax as long as it's something tangible. 

There's lots of discussion about flag timers, conquest windows and even port production/buildings but  there is currently no discussion as to actual benefit. I was super excited to claim the entire Caribbean for king and country, until I realized that it didn't matter at all.

Port battles are at an early stage of development right now.

Production buildings, port investments etc. will make ports more valuable.

Or join low population country - like Sweden/France or Denmark. Ports matter to them A LOT - as you cannot build ships without iron/oak/etc.

If you joined Britain for King and Country you will see a lot less challenge.

• Like 1

Port battles are at an early stage of development right now.

Ahh, i saw port battle discussions as the actual battle (when/how/cost/etc) as opposed to the consequences for success.

I mentioned that ports existing don't matter and how being british or Swedish at the start is irrelevant.

Would it be worth discussing/suggesting the benefit for being the guy who captured the port?

Edited by Fashbinder