Game-Labs Forum

One great game, many small annoyances

rommel22

Hi, I've just bought the game today. The AI can actually challenging for once, and graphics are nicely done. But there are some really annoying issues:

1. unit free movement: The AI opponent may be competent, but the same can't be said about the AI of the players units. They constantly change their angle without being told, so instead of shooting the 1200 men unit infront of them (which is shooting them), they change direction to shoot at some 200 skirmishers which are just passing by. Another problem is that its impossible to concentrate Art fire on specific targets without babysitting the Art units. Instead of shooting at something else when target isn't available anymore (i assume that's was happens), they come out of their (relative) safe zone, going toward enemy lines, and try a suicide charge, Instead of forgeting that specific unit and firing at something else. So i have to tell every unit to halt.

2. Melle/charge: The AI may move when i don't want. But when i order 20 times to charge a unit they are just standing by and sometimes shoot. Melee combat also seems to barely do any damage. All this seems to make Art OP. example: ordering 1000+ unit to charge an Art unit of 70. They move and stand infront of the cannons. While starring at the cannons they get canisterd to oblivion. And when a unit does move to enemy Art, the Art just runs almost at the same speed as the infantry.

I noticed this also. Charging artillery is a waste of time....like you said, when 1000 men are on top of a gun crew, the crew takes a few loses...damn odd. In reality, the crew would abandon their guns or be wiped out.

I also get annoyed when my formation changes its facing in a less than ideal angle. I'm concerned this will turn into learning how to trick the AI into making bad facing choices for absurd enfilades.

I think there should be a feature where unit AI can be turned on and off for each formation.

The same thing happend to me 50 enemy skirmish guys passed by because my infantry of 1200+ keeps on moving or changing position.

The union needs some sort of tweak more disicipline of some sort. It feels like they can't keep formation they retreat or change position too much. Even with a general near by.

I fully agree with the melee charge vs artillery units. I can't wipe the enemies artillery units no matter what. Charged with 1000 infantry vs 70 artillery and they were just messing around.Enemy Artillery units would just retreat and come back.

Would be nice if the enemy artillery could be abandoned or wiped out if you were to charge with 1000 units.

The killrate feels really low by the way.