Game-Labs Forum

(PVP2 - US) Battle Reports February 1st, 2015

They Call Me Mr. Tibbs

At an undisclosed location in the Caribbean at 7:00 pm central standard time February 1st, 2016; a large fleet of British ships approached a free-city within which the pirate "Black Flag Coalition" had made their base. The Black Flag Coalition was made of two partner guilds; The Forsaken Corsairs and The Jolly Rogers, who had been growing in strength through recruitment and piracy of local ships. However the piracy of British merchants and other vessels had prompted the British to send a fleet of 15 ships; comprised of several Niagaras, Snows and other assorted vessels to drive the Coalition from the free port. While the Black Flag Coalition was capable of fielding a similar fleet, they decided however to hold the main fleet in port and only field basic cutters. This decision was made by the Coalition in an attempt to ensure the British would be unable to make any money from the conflict.

The first engagement of the evening fell to the British. The failure of the Coalition during the opening engagement was primarily caused by a lack of communication and the failure to prioritize targets which allowed the more powerful British vessels to engage Coalition vessels one on one. The second and third engagements sprung up as Coalition members who had been sunk during the first engagement returned to the battlefield and were engaged by British forces that had fallen behind their main forces. As the first engagement came to the end and more Coalition members came online it was decided that the Coalition would regroup and launch a organized assault, therefore all members participating in the second and third engagement surrendered their worthless cutters and rejoin the main force in port.

When the Coalition left port it was clear that British moral was already low, primarily do to their need to constantly repair after each battle which cost them a small fortune; in contrast, the Coalition moral was high as they were actually making money from the engagements as their ships and repairs were free. The fifth engagement began with 14 Coalition Cutters engaging a Niagara, a Snow and several AI Cutters. In contrast to earlier engagements the Coalition forces targeted the Niagara and converged on it while destroying the its sails. The British attempted to protect the Niagara but several Cutters made it to the Niagara and continued to slow it. The decisive moment of the engagement was when the Niagara turned and attempted to engage the Coalition forces. One of the Cutters who had been tearing down the Niagara's sails decided to attempt a ram and managed to get the bow of his Cutter on top of the Niagara, after several tense moments the Niagara began to tip and a cheer went out across the Coalition team speak server as it flipped over. At this moment the British forces broke and fled the battlefield, but not before another snow was tipped by the Coalition.

As the night wrapped up several other small skirmishes broke out between the Coalition and remnants of the British force, and before the night was out they'd sunk another Niagara.

• Like 2

I'm reading this for the first time on the forums, but have seen it over and over and over again from pirate players.

"Lets just swarm with cutters because they're free!"

"I don't feel like being in this battle anymore, I'll just ram/surrender with my cutter and get another one, for free, instantly!"

etc.

This does not make for good gameplay.  This game is *Not* EVE online.  Basic cutters should only be free if you have NO OTHER SHIPS to drive.  They need to stop being free to prevent this kind of asshattery in the future.

Edited by Shepherd415
  • Like 2

The choice to use cutters was based on the fact that we couldn't afford the lose of our higher tier ships at the time. Since you are so comfortable with referencing eve-online, I'll bring up an anecdote from eve-online "Don't [sail] it if you can't afford to lose it." The pirate players are constantly facing off against better equipped and larger forces, therefore we are forced to tear a page from history and employ gorilla tactics. For most players it quickly becomes a question of profitability. "Can I make a profit from this battle, is it getting me closer to my goal?" As the location of the battle is now disclassified, I can also explain the fact that we were fighting outside a free-town were we couldn't deploy reinforcements to equal the forces presented to us by the British by calling reinforcements.