Game-Labs Forum

Battle Smoke and Towns

I was watching the Smoke from cannons today and came to a realization. The smoke in the game hangs around a bit to long. If we were in the middle of a field firing cannons the smoke wouldn't clear very fast because of the lack of winds but on the high seas the  wind blows at a very good pace. As such it would blow the smoke clouds away a bit quicker than we see in game or at least thin it out ALOT quicker than hanging around for 10 seconds. I couldn't find a real black powder cannon firing but if you watch these cannons fire off on the sea it clears up alot more quickly.https://youtu.be/dVvEPTYrcXA?t=108

As for towns I was thinking about maybe lighthouses or being able to see their names from a bit further away. Many a time I have had to sail RIGHT up to the port to even find out that it was the wrong town. I have gotten ok at telling by the surrounding area if its the town I am going after but I still do it a few times and then there are the times we are looking for a new town and come up on one and have to sail really close just to tell if we went to far when we are sailing out in the ocean.

it's not always windy on the open sea. just saying :)

to add to this, black powder smoke is also more thick than modern powder, which is sometimes refered to smokeless powder for a reason(a lot less smoke), i think how it is now is quite good actually.

• Like 2

i live just a few hundred meters away from the sea, smoke lasts as long over the sea as it does in the air, seen a lot of gorse fires and the smoke from gorse is pretty thick and that can hang around for a while. i would say the ingame smoke is pretty real, black powder smoke is thick and ive been in reenactments theirs a lot of smoke, it hangs around for a bit and dissipates fading out to blue hues. the smell lingers on longer than the smoke so be glad you cant smell the cannons :P