Game-Labs Forum

A few suggestions.

Some observations and suggestions.  Some of these are new.  Some of these are simply adding my voice to other folks who are asking for these features:

Combat mechanics:

It seems to me that combat mechanics are currently very well tuned. 

There’s the ramming/capsize exploit that is already well known and I’m certain that the developers are already working on this.  Also I assume that they are working on boarding mechanics and ways to prevent interlopers from stealing your mission prizes. 

One thing I would change is adding double shot.  Would like to see it give a boost at short range (pistol shot range,) with penalties for longer ranges, and increased reload times. 

Relevance of Open World location and weather conditions on battles:

This is my number one request.  It’s not new, and has been requested a lot, but in my mind, it should be the top priority for the developers.  If a battle takes place near an open world shore, then the shoreline should be implemented in the battle instance.  Likewise, weather conditions in the open world should carry over into the battle instance.   Waves should vary based on open world conditions, as should wind speed.   Conditions in the battle instance should range between gales and high waves, to near calm and flat seas. 

Port conquest:

Three towers sitting in the middle of the ocean is not a proper setting for a port battle.  

There needs to be variation in port topography and defenses. 

Some ports should be lightly defended, with a couple of Martello towers and easy access.  Other ports should be extremely difficult to attack, with approaches covered with towers, and NPC/AI ships to defend them. 

There needs to be some coastline and scenery, so there is some visual context for the battle. 

National Flavor:

Other than the location of their capitals, and the starting control of various cities, there is no real differences between the nations.  Other than the variations in the names of the ranks, gameplay between the national factions are all identical. 

I would really like to see some significant differences between national factions.   Different nations of the era had differing strengths and weaknesses.  I’d love to see these reflected in the game.  Make it easier of more difficult for different nationalities to craft the various ship types.  For example, the French had a knack for building faster ships, and the Spanish, with their big facilities in Havana, had an easier time building larger vessels.  The Americans built some very nice “super frigates” tended towards larger crews, and had access to live oak.  Dutch traders could have larger cargo holds, etc.   I’ve seen a lot of suggestions about differentiating the Pirate faction by giving them various advantages and disadvantages, but I would suggest doing that for each national faction as well. 

I’m not saying that Americans shouldn’t be able to build first rates, but I am saying that it should be harder for an American to build a first rate than it is for the Spaniards.  (And likewise, it should be harder for the Spaniards to craft a live oak Constitution class frigate.)    

These are only off the cuff suggestions, but what I’m looking for is some differentiation between nations that provide some historical flavor. 

Allowing formal alliances and cessation of hostilities between certain nations on occasion would also be good. 

Making some ports more or less difficult to capture would be good.  

Personal flavor:

Also highly requested by many people has been the ability to personalize your ships; changing colors, sails, pennants, names, etc.  This would be a great thing, which would add to the immersion of the game. 

Edited by ssssnake529
  • Like 1

AFAIK Double was taken down to rebalance it for the future.

Customization will come in the future, as will flushing out certain parts of the game.

As for national flavors, I'm all against it. I would prefer people to be free to join any nation they want, without meta-gaming it up. I want people to fly a colour because they want to, not because they get +15% speed. Different upgrades are a good way to implement boosts and bonuses, nations - are not.

• Like 1

AFAIK Double was taken down to rebalance it for the future.

Customization will come in the future, as will flushing out certain parts of the game.

As for national flavors, I'm all against it. I would prefer people to be free to join any nation they want, without meta-gaming it up. I want people to fly a colour because they want to, not because they get +15% speed. Different upgrades are a good way to implement boosts and bonuses, nations - are not.

Regarding national characteristics, I'm not saying that just because you are French, you get a +15% speed bonus, but there might be a bonus for crafting speed-related upgrades in French ports, or more labor available in Spanish ports, etc.  Live oak should only be available in certain ports, and other resources likewise available in specific areas, etc.  Various countries could have some bonus chances (or less chance) to obtain various crafting blueprints, (British have better chance to obtain 3rd rate plans, and Americans better chance to obtain Constitution plans, Spaniards have a bonus for Santissima Trinidad plans, etc.)