Game-Labs Forum

First Impressions and humble suggestions

First of all,

thanks.

It was about time to see what really revolutionary minds and spirits of programmers could deliver to us, strategic players. Yet, this is something more than just a game with a good AI, as the gameplay itself is refreshing, meaningful and potentially illimitate. 

First thing i was awed about it's the movement-pattern. Brilliant. Simply the best, and most simple in a way, way of issuing movement commands I have ever see in a game. Elegant and effective as, combined with the LoS, it really gives tremendous possibilities to forge well organised flanking.

Now I must stop, or I would continue drooling compliments for quite a while...

Now, a couple of questions or hints, if you will: Morale. I love the idea of an ever-changing morale rapidly dropping or rising as the battle evolves and the micro-fight near the unit itself evolve. Said so, there could/should be a non returning point. The engagements might become shorter this way, but way more satisfying I think.

What I mean to say, is that a regiment (or brigade? Well an inf unit...) starting with 1200 men, after the loss of more than 1\4 of its men should retreat. Not just fall back and regroup with a horrible morale malus. It should be: "bye-bye, see you next day with your morale malus!".

In the first engagement I managed to encirle and rout a confederate regiment and I had to chase it with two of mine regiments (as they felt it would be politically correct to rout themselves from time to time, even if there was no apparent reason to do that..they were chasing down an enemy reg!) till the "end" of the map...yet the stubborn guys continued to come and go essentially, as I recognized too late, making me waste time for no real gain.

Now, the most important part:

In the same first engagement, right in the first minutes of battle, I outflanked the enemy advancing forces (I was the union) with the two videttes cav and with one skirmisher while the remaining forces fought a fighting retreat, basically "luring" the confederate inf. away from their guns. My cav. charged and routed the enemy guns and, even here, the artillerymen, while dragging their guns with them(?!) retreated and started fire again.

I feel this should be changed somehow. I could comprehend a fair reluctance on your behalf in changing the morale system, which must have been quite difficoult to manage and create, as I can only imagine, being so accurate. But about 300 horsemen with sabres and revolvers charging by two sides while supported by a company of skirmishers, once entered in a close combat with the enemy artillerymen should just kill all of them. If anyone of the artillerymen shall be able to flee the slaughterhouse, it wouldn't be with the guns. The cannons would be still on the muddy bloody ground my troops now have.

I Imagine that create a "composite" unit (guns+crew) could require too much of work for no major overall gameplay improvement but the attack (or even conquer? ...heh, am I pushing too much now?) of an enemy battery should be more rewarding, ending (if successful) with their complete destruction, not with their momentaneous retreat about 300 meters away. 

Thanks for the patience and for the eventual replies 

• Like 1

Thank you for your post. Well written and very inspiring for us!

Currently there is this system of units fleeing completely out of the battle if the following happens:

- There are 65% losses 

- The unit retreats

So theoretically a unit will never escape the battlefield if it is not forced to retreat at this bad state but manages to withdraw and keep relative safety. Penalties in morale regenerations of course make a unit so badly beaten very fragile so eventually will not hold too much in battle.

Eventually it is about numbers and overall gameplay balance on how this particular shutter mechanic works satisfactory or not and we will certainly look to improve if needed.