Game-Labs Forum

Creating and using alternative characters

I am playing this game for about 2-3 weeks now and i hear a lot of players thinking of having few characters in different nations.

Mostly they want to have Neutral alt to be able to sale in all port buying resources and than just trade to main character.

I would suggest to make an easy penalty system for trading between different nations.

Lets say for one trade you will get 500 penalty points. After 3000 point you will be flagged as ' Contrabandist ' (both characters) and you becoming fair play to any nation( can be for a week or two). Possible even NPC ships will start attacking you in OW.

this way we could avoid creating alts and exploiting current system?

Any comment would be appreciated.

So as far as i understand from replies everyone is sort of ok if i buy another copy of the game and create neutral character which will trade get resources for my maineven tho my main in different nation?

i just proposed how it can be stopped. Unless its ok and game developers thinks that it won't be giving any advantages for player.

Can admins state clearly that creating alternative character for different nation and trading between them is OK and there is no breaking rules in that? And its doesn't matter if its another copy of the game or same account?

Because i can find few chaps in GB, US, Neutrals etc and being pirate we all can live big happy family by trading between each other and getting missing resources for each other.

My question is simple. Is it right or wrong?Is it against the game rules? And do you think my idea would help to prevent it.

Btw its isn't about just having alt. i believe you can have as many alts or game copies as you want. But trading between them if they are from different nations or boarding your alts to get ships that you can not build (if they decide that pirates can't craft 1st rates) would be wrong in my opinion.

Edited by Toothless Jack

If possible I will buy one or two more licenses because my current 3 characters (all in the same nation) seem necessary to maintain production. I hope there is a mechanism to prevent what I see as cheating; having characters that circumvent national boundaries. Perhaps with increased population I will find I don't need to work so hard as running 3 characters.

• Like 1

If possible I will buy one or two more licenses because my current 3 characters (all in the same nation) seem necessary to maintain production. I hope there is a mechanism to prevent what I see as cheating; having characters that circumvent national boundaries. Perhaps with increased population I will find I don't need to work so hard as running 3 characters.

I like this its a good way for the devs to make money

For as far as i know, they have stated that when EA hits, no alts are possible. Unless you buy another copy of the game.

I've seen this too, but it makes me wonder: How are minor nations supposed to be played unless simply accepting to permanently be an underdog and permanently be a prey for everything else regardless of where in the entire Caribbean one sails?

It'll be quite a burden to play several nations unless accepting to be highly gankable as soon as you leave your capital since that's basically your entire region, and that means one simply can't ever lazy-play the game if at all wanting to play one of those nations?

Personally I think completely taking away alts is a bad idea. Limiting features on a secondary character I could understand. But doing away with alts unless you buy a second copy would be a massive let down for me. The game is amazing, and I commend the devs for their very hard work. But I wouldn't pay twice for it, just to get an alt character.