Game-Labs Forum

Dev's Stance on Competitive Multiplayer?

Rickter

I have been following this game for a while, seeing the trailer brought back a huge amount of emotions from growing up playing Gettysburg! In Gettysburg there was a very strong competitive scene,  The issue the competitive scene ran into was extreme unbalanced in certain maps such as Attack on Little Round Top etc. In order to combat this we had a gathering of players that set what we called "Gentlemens rules" where we had to enforce rules such as map vetoing and so forth. This turned into a giant pain in the neck.

I was wondering if the Dev had any plans on create a multiplayer mode for competitive play to even out balanced maps and regiments and so forth so the "unwritten rules" were not nessecary, possibly create a "Realism Multiplayer Mode" and a "Competitive Multiplayer Mode" ?

The AI in this game might be so challenging that we might not go online as we fear we'll be wasting time with noobs like 1 year after release. Some sort of head to head campaign and a co-op campaign (maybe even 2v2) would be excellent as that would add a spice but a feature like quick battles where there are no consequences to winning or losing might be redundant in my opinion. If you want to practice just do it with the AI with less lag, less time to wait and more flexibility.

However, I don't believe this game will feature multiplayer because that side of things is far too costly and so they'd probably have to wait and include it in the sequel. Ultimate generals selling point seems to be the challenging AI and considering we know who Darth is, we can say for sure that this isn't a marketing tactic or hype that we may or may not see unlike other games.

Let's just appreciate the single player experience first before venturing into multiplayer suggestions.

The AI in this game might be so challenging that we might not go online as we fear we'll be wasting time with noobs like 1 year after release. Some sort of head to head campaign and a co-op campaign (maybe even 2v2) would be excellent as that would add a spice but a feature like quick battles where there are no consequences to winning or losing might be redundant in my opinion. If you want to practice just do it with the AI with less lag, less time to wait and more flexibility.

However, I don't believe this game will feature multiplayer because that side of things is far too costly and so they'd probably have to wait and include it in the sequel. Ultimate generals selling point seems to be the challenging AI and considering we know who Darth is, we can say for sure that this isn't a marketing tactic or hype that we may or may not see unlike other games.

Let's just appreciate the single player experience first before venturing into multiplayer suggestions.

First, They have indeed already confirmed a multiplayer. Quick battles are a thing in every other RTS game I have ever played, and they never EVER are "redundant". each game is different and plays out different.  Most serious players I am sure would find the ai "secrets" in a few short weeks of playing seriously. The ability to play against other players will add additional aspects to the game that would otherwise be unavailable in single player vs AI.

• 3 weeks later...
Most serious players I am sure would find the ai "secrets" in a few short weeks of playing seriously. The ability to play against other players will add additional aspects to the game that would otherwise be unavailable in single player vs AI.

Yes Multiplayer is surely going to be very fun, and despite the good AI it will be necessary for making the game competitive and last for many gameplay hours. This is why we are working on it and we have already a 1st test version that works internally well. We will share more news on its progress later.

Yes Multiplayer is surely going to be very fun, and despite the good AI it will be necessary for making the game competitive and last for many gameplay hours. This is why we are working on it and we have already a 1st test version that works internally well. We will share more news on its progress later.

Good to hear! can't wait to see whats in the works!