Game-Labs Forum

New player with questions

Avast me hearties!

I am a new player thanks to NA being available for pre-order once again, and boy am I excited. This looks like a great game, and I look forward to playing it! Unfortunately, I am away from my main computer while traveling, so have been relegated to watching a few YT videos here and there to try and get a feel for the game and its mechanics. 

Bearing this in mind, I still have a number of questions, I thank you in advance for any assistance any of you may provide.

-Is there a comprehensive tutorial for new players? Everything I've found on YT is reasonably old and perhaps outdated.

-When one encounters a storm, are you dropped from 'open world' travel into an instance? If not, what is the real point of storms from a gameplay perspective?

-Upon my inevitable death, what happens? Coming from Elite: Dangerous, I am all too familiar with ship rebuy screens. I assume NA has a similar system of sorts.

-How does one make money?

-How do the various factions work?

-Fleet battles-are they a thing? How frequent? Is there a limit to the number of ships in an instance?

-Is there a resource where I can learn about all the ships ingame and their various attributes?

This is the majority of my questions I have so far, and again I appreciate your consideration. 

1. it is not the best but it is a begginners guide i made;

2. no, however in the future at least you can have battles in thsoe storms

3. you loose a durability/ship and get sent back to port, if you loose ship you loose all the modules and cannons you had installed, no insurance system in game

4. trading and killing stuff

5. Currently they are just something to be part of and attack others, there si no politics  system currently

6. fleet bettles are a thing, we have the weekly saturday trafalgar at 10pm cet and there might be others with port battles and suhc

7. sorry, no naswer for that one

• Like 1

1. it is not the best but it is a begginners guide i made;

2. no, however in the future at least you can have battles in thsoe storms

3. you loose a durability/ship and get sent back to port, if you loose ship you loose all the modules and cannons you had installed, no insurance system in game

4. trading and killing stuff

5. Currently they are just something to be part of and attack others, there si no politics  system currently

6. fleet bettles are a thing, we have the weekly saturday trafalgar at 10pm cet and there might be others with port battles and suhc

7. sorry, no naswer for that one

Thank you very kindly for your answers!

Honestly I find that a bit disappointing in regards to storms. I was really looking forward to fighting the seas! 

So I assume it isn't possible to drop from OW travel to a normal travel instance just for S&G and to take in the pretty sights? 

If you are feeling up to it would you be so kind as to explain the durability system at length? I'm not sure I follow completely.

Thank you again cap'n!

Honestly I find that a bit disappointing in regards to storms. I was really looking forward to fighting the seas!

So I assume it isn't possible to drop from OW travel to a normal travel instance just for S&G and to take in the pretty sights?

If you are feeling up to it would you be so kind as to explain the durability system at length? I'm not sure I follow completely.

Thank you again cap'n!

It sounds more difficult then it is. Think of the durability number like lives not continues in a standard arcade game. You you are sunk/destroyed/boarded (boarding failed) you will loose a durability total. Let's say you have a ship with a durability of 5. Everytime one of the above occurred you can subtract 1 durability. Once your durability total is down to 1 the next time one of the above occurrs you will never see that boat again (unless you craft or capture another one :-). You have infinity continues so the durability is only attached to your chosen ship. Each ship has different durabilities. Most captured ships only have a durability of 1. Once your ship is gone and you don't have another one in port or at the port your sent to once you "respawn" you will have to take out the free Lynx or yacht. You can then either grind up to a new ship or head to the closest port where you have more vessels. Hope this helps

• Like 1

It sounds more difficult then it is. Think of the durability number like lives not continues in a standard arcade game. You you are sunk/destroyed/boarded (boarding failed) you will loose a durability total. Let's say you have a ship with a durability of 5. Everytime one of the above occurred you can subtract 1 durability. Once your durability total is down to 1 the next time one of the above occurrs you will never see that boat again (unless you craft or capture another one :-). You have infinity continues so the durability is only attached to your chosen ship. Each ship has different durabilities. Most captured ships only have a durability of 1. Once your ship is gone and you don't have another one in port or at the port your sent to once you "respawn" you will have to take out the free Lynx or yacht. You can then either grind up to a new ship or head to the closest port where you have more vessels. Hope this helps

It sure does! Thanks again for the help!

One final question, what exactly renders a ship "sunk?" Obviously fire and a magazine explosion, but how else does one sink an enemy ship?

Edited by NaTrolleon

Thank you again cap'n!

They used to have big storms, not sure what happened to them. Miss them too. Now I all I see is light rain and waves. There is a big number of people who loves storms.