Game-Labs Forum

Thoughts on the future

CplHickz

As another Fan of Darths work on the Total War series I wanted to give my impressions as a former game designer and ask a question:

First I think the gameplay video showed a very strong update to the old Take command and Sid Meires Gettysburg! type gameplay. I don't know about you guys but I always found the way these games approached 16-19th century warfare to be far superior to the Total War series. Abstracting things like troop numbers logistics, casualties, moral, etc, makes for a deeper game (imo). 

That said I really liked what I saw. The devs seemed to have captured the feeling of those old Civil War games while improving the design and functionality. I am super excited about this game and will buy it on release.

I do have a question on what the future looks like though. I have to admit I am as much a fan of Grand Strategy as I am real time. The fusion presented in total war has to me, always represented one of high points in game design for this particular genre. Total War obviously is an abysmal failure mechanically, and has remained a failure with each iteration of the series (sans Shogun 2). 

So my question to the devs: Is it possible that we see an expansion of this game in the future to incorporate some "Grand Strategy" component. If UG Gettysburg has the strong gameplay I think it will, it to me might become the perfect real time component to a 17th-19th century Grand strategy game alla EU 4. I can only hope at least. 

Thanks for reading!

-Hicks

So my question to the devs: Is it possible that we see an expansion of this game in the future to incorporate some "Grand Strategy" component. If UG Gettysburg has the strong gameplay I think it will, it to me might become the perfect real time component to a 17th-19th century Grand strategy game alla EU 4. I can only hope at least. 

Thank you for the kind words

If the game sells well and we can support ourselves for the next iteration - definitely yes. 

We wanted to start the development with the grand campaign but decided to cut the content because we had resources to only make 1 thing perfect. That's why Gettysburg was chosen. 

In the future there are definitely plans to add the campaign and experiment with other settings. 

>We wanted to start the development with the grand campaign but decided to cut the content because we had resources to only make 1 thing perfect.

That is a refreshing attitude to have and I am happy to hear you guys say that. I hope you find alot of success when the game gets released. 

Thanks for the response. 

Totally agree. Too many games are ruined by developers (or probably the publishers) trying to cram too much content in and not polishing each part. The TW series was excellent at first however too much work has been spent IMHO on combat animations and not on actual gameplay. The take that UG Gettysburg seems to have on LOS shows to me that things are going in the right direction. I just hope that I will have time to ponder my tactics in the same way that Command Ops:Battles from the Bulge gives me.

• 3 weeks later...

That is nice to hear.  Good luck Devs I wait impaitently for your game.  Please take your time as long as needed to give us a great game.  I have stayed off your forum to try not to think about this game, cant anymore.  You have the support of a lot of Total War fans believe me.