Game-Labs Forum

Who do you think would win?

ShiverMyTimber

So I was thinking about who would win. The HMS victory or 5 RIBs (you might call them something different in America related to brand naming of the original ones but they're these) each one fitted with a co-axial machine gun with standard (non-armour piercing rounds) loaded with 100 rounds each giving them 500 higher velocity bullets. Crewed by 4 soldiers each who are all armed with a standard assault rifle (no drum mags or huge mags) as well as a dumb-fire (no guidance whatsoever) missile launcher/recoilless rifle of your choosing except for anything capable of launching nuclear warheads like the Davey Crockett. All missiles are to be standard HE or HEAT rounds except for one single fuel-air missile.

I'm on the fence when it comes to things like laser dazzlers or laser rangefinders or anything that would serve as a huge force multiplier.

As for the victory; she will be fully crewed along with a detachment of marines. All shot types of the time will be on board and she will be crewed by an able and battle hardened crew.

As for morale it would be good to remember that the captain at least knew of congreve rockets, the automatic firing would probably be the biggest force multiplier and morale breaker.

Yeah grapeshot would be the deciding factor. I think most assault rifles are accurate (to hit a person) out to around 0.5-0.75km, sometimes more when scope fitted though accuracy would suffer with the fast moving RIBs.
I suppose the real danger to the vic would be if the fuel-air rocket (you can adjust the detonation range on it for airburst or have it detonate on impact) hit the rigging and set it aflame. The real danger would be fire and the RIBs firing rockets through the stern window, such as one HEAT/HE and then a fuel air one which would blow the ship to pieces.

A thermobaric warhead could start a possibly fatal fire, and at least wipe out most of a gundeck.

However, any other warheads in the handheld caliber would have seriously unimpressive effects on the hull (fingerwidth holes from the HEAT), and the .50 wouldn't penetrate much.

The crew could sit below the waterline in relative comfort, sending up firefighting and teams and small gun crews as needed.

Of course, they would need to understand the weapons they faced. And the small boats would never need to enter the firing arcs of the Vic, so it would probably be a stalemate in which her rigging would suffer the most.

Well, hey the Victory is still around - - - let's try it out sometime - - - write to Prince Harry and challenge him ;)

I would love to try that.

Sadly both sets of ships would need to be crewed so all the human rights guys would get all hot and bothered about Harry getting people blown to bits for a little entertainment  :(.

They really need to make a computer program that simulates these things.