Game-Labs Forum

Mortars, carronades, long guns, standard canon but where are the culverins?

Hey, been playing for a few days now and have been loving the game and the variety in weapons, though the culverine seems oddly absent.
Is this to keep to 17th century realism where cannons were defined by size rather than name or is it something in the works?
The only reason I ask is I remember reading an article about two years back saying that due to the way a culverine; due to the way it was forged, created air currents imparting a spin on projectiles like a rifle.
The only issue was that they were lower in poundage than your average cannon size and weight wise so while capable of long range accuracy they did suffer from some issues.
I was thinking that longer ranged guns and a lateen rigged ship could kite whomever they're shooting, tear up their sails/demast them before using round shot to remove some armor then switch to grape and go in for the kill.

You'd still be at the mercy of the target's cannons. Stray too close and a full broadside might be the end of you.

Or in large battles you could fit culverines to one side/deck of your ship then use range to your advantage before turning to fire carronades when they got into carronade range whilst having a mid range cannon on whichever deck has the least cannons side by side.

Not sure if this is a terrible idea (my first post) but super accurate guns would be something interesting. Naturally their accuracy would take penalties in reload time and (possibly?) damage per pound.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Hey, been playing for a few days now and have been loving the game and the variety in weapons, though the culverine seems oddly absent.

Is this to keep to 17th century realism where cannons were defined by size rather than name or is it something in the works?

The only reason I ask is I remember reading an article about two years back saying that due to the way a culverine; due to the way it was forged, created air currents imparting a spin on projectiles like a rifle.

The only issue was that they were lower in poundage than your average cannon size and weight wise so while capable of long range accuracy they did suffer from some issues.

I was thinking that longer ranged guns and a lateen rigged ship could kite whomever they're shooting, tear up their sails/demast them before using round shot to remove some armor then switch to grape and go in for the kill.

You'd still be at the mercy of the target's cannons. Stray too close and a full broadside might be the end of you.

Or in large battles you could fit culverines to one side/deck of your ship then use range to your advantage before turning to fire carronades when they got into carronade range whilst having a mid range cannon on whichever deck has the least cannons side by side.

Not sure if this is a terrible idea (my first post) but super accurate guns would be something interesting. Naturally their accuracy would take penalties in reload time and (possibly?) damage per pound.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

If I remember correctly. Canon, demi canon, Culverin and demi Culverin were old french based nomenclature for artillery types. They fired 42, 32, 24-18, 12-8 pound balls respectively. Later such distinction was abandoned and instead, the pounder rating was used. Therefore culverin is already ingame and lateen sails will be soon enough.