Game-Labs Forum

New to the forum / Looking forward to the release.

Bionoman

Hi there, 

Ive watched lots of videos involving this game / simulator. It looks absolutely stunning. 

Ive been wanthing to buy this game for a while, since ive googled up line ship battle games. 

None on the market really focused on these 18 century beauties armed with gunpowder cannons :P 

So i looked up ship of the line battles and was smiling along at how awesome it looks. 

Ive been asking myself the question whether it is possible to damage ship Rudders, or actually destroy / collapse 

a mast with a well placed knipple shot / chain shot.

Also whether destroying bits and peices of a ship was possible. - 

i Noticed from this video 

that the front mast was missing. 

This made me exited :D 

Please release it soon lol

• Like 1

Welcome!

Right now, chain doesn't by itself destroy a mast (I suppose you could get extremely lucky taking that last point or two off of an already severely damaged mast), but in general, all demastings are usually a result of hits by ball ammunition.  Chain damages the rigging, as it did in real life, which results in a reduction in % of Sail available, slowing the ship's speed and maneuverability.  It's a nod to gameplay and not making this a heavy simulation.

Rudders can indeed be damaged, preventing or reducing rudder based maneuverability until repaired.

Unfortunately, the models do not (at this time) support deformation or major damage.  There are "hit" "stickers" (which look pretty good actually) that are applied, however, you won't see gunports beaten into one, or missing pieces of the hull.  Having said that, except under extreme conditions (two ships of the line pounding each other for hours), real life cannon balls didn't do much more than punch little cannonball sized holes in the hull, similar to the "stickers" in use by the game currently, so that form of damage isn't a-historic.

A lot of this and more are discussed in the forums here.  We look forward to seeing you on the seas soon.

Further to Capt. Darby's comment, Chain does not take down masts but,  historically many ships were dismasted during a fight because the rigging was so shot up it could not support the masts anymore.

Or, sometimes one or both sides had to withdraw to repair rigging before re-engaging.

It was not uncommon for ships to become "unmanageable".

Hey all, I'm brand new to this game as well. I have watched a few youtube videos, and it looks amazing. So hi!

I'm a big fan of sailing games and sims such as Sail Simulator 4 & 5, Virtual Skipper and POTC: New Horizons.. I also race and coach sailboat races in the real world, I'm a bit of a sailing addict!

Hope I get the chance to play this game soon, it looks like it will be a true gem and fresh take on this somewhat neglected genre.. I'm very excited to learn more about the upcoming open world portions. I play a lot of EVE Online, and that's one of the most engaging things about EVE. Sandbox/open push the dirt around elements generally would work well in a game like this, I think!

All the best of luck to the dev team