Game-Labs Forum

Ship Timber Bonuses

So we've talked about the types of timber that could be used in crafting ships here http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4636-timber-types-used-in-ship-construction-request/

and how effective they may be, but what we've not talked about is being able to use different types of timber for different purposes. This was raised by "Northernwolves" in the above linked topic.

post-11039-0-98327100-1430651551_thumb.jpg - Click to enlarge

1. The Bowspirit.  

2. Planking

3. Masts

4. The Stern

5. Armour

6. Knees and Frames.

Take the masts for example.  How well they are built, and which wood was used to built them can affect everything from how fast they turn, how fast the sails are unfurled, how accurate sharpshooters are, and how durable they are.

If you were a small frigate for example you might be inclined to spend more on decent timber for your side armour than your stern if you weren't worried about sterncampers.

Thoughts?

Edited by Richard Bolitho
  • Like 2

Sounds complicated? You should play some Eve

Have to say, anything that can be supported with an argument of "But EVE..." probably won't go down well ;)

I like the idea of different parts of the ship made with different materials, but not the unrealistic/arbitrary advantages offered. An oak mast would be stronger, maybe able to hold more sail in a heavy wind. A strong bowsprit is less likely to fall off, and various armor locations could be affected by the materials used. However, a good mast would not magically grant additional accuracy and sail performance. (Unless there is some hidden advantage I do not know of.)

New to forum but as i understand it the ships are to be built at a yard to order yes? (Forgive me if i am wrong in this not got the game yet sadly) or will be. Different options of wood used could offer different tuning aspect to ships, a more solid mast for example is less flexible but stronger over all, harder to knock down. A more flexi timber will give the mast the ability to be tuned with the stays to the correct shape to allow more speed. Now i do not know if a square rig ship needed this, but modern masts have a slight bow shape to help the sail shape. As i say this is maybe a modern thing but canny old seadogs may have been the founders of this trick, i used to gain a little speed on my boats with the masts tuned to correct shape, lower fore stay tighter mid height and top back stays tightened to give the extra little lift needed, again big diff between small sailing boats and large heavy warships so maybe moot point. As far as armor goes again different woods have different properties some will crush to a blow some will split, some may off more chance of a bounce at angle. I see many option in different wood types being available in the construction of a ship, it would also offer tropical hard wood trading and other endless possibilities.