Game-Labs Forum

Capturing surrendered ships in v1.6?

Hello, there are some points which I suggest to add in new patch

1.  When battle is over and there are some ships which surrendered, they should be added to winning side.

2. Ships when they are fast, should not behave as sliding cars. Their construction will never allow it

3. i know that it may be hard to implement, but important ports should have some land battery coverage. This should be also taken in account, especially when we try to block a port with small ships like destroyers. Eventually smaller ships should take some damages trying to block big military ports.   

• Like 2

Were any warships surrendered after the Russo-Japanese War? I remember reading an account of the Falklands, where the British continued firing on a grounded German ship, after they had abandoned ship and iirc struck their colours. Bismarck, famously, was fired on long after she was able to resist and when hardly anyone above the armoured belt was alive. 

On 7/20/2024 at 10:22 AM, DougToss said:

Were any warships surrendered after the Russo-Japanese War? I remember reading an account of the Falklands, where the British continued firing on a grounded German ship, after they had abandoned ship and iirc struck their colours. Bismarck, famously, was fired on long after she was able to resist and when hardly anyone above the armoured belt was alive. 

i'd say its not so much about surrendering, as there are more than a few cases where if caution and potential costs were just ignored, there were quite a few ships that could've been potentially captured. it's partly that the beaten ship could just scuttle in various organized or unorganized ways prior to boarding (flooding the ships vs detonating the torpedoes and ammo magazines) regardless of a surrender or die order. the difficulty is in the technical challenge-

the main issue of taking a warship prize at any point after... 1870? is that they're just too complicated for a prize crew to operate without the actual crew helping (which they usually aren't inclined to), and instructions are usually in a different language.

Admiral Cunningham and his bridge crew all REALLY wanted to capture or at least tow Pola back to Alexandria after the Battle of Cape Matapan as it was still largely intact, just sans one explosively ejected turret and the original torpedo damage from the previous day. if it wasn't for being right off the coast of Greece and in range of the Regia Marina, and land based air, the RN absolutely would've taken Pola.

instead, they just boarded, looted everything not nailed down (unofficially), and sunk Pola, notifying the Italians on an open channel what happened and that their sailors were in the water.

it's always the technical issues, and then there would be a cost-benefit analysis afterwards. otherwise the RN could've gotten Bismarck, Pola, Konigsberg (on the Rufiji River in 1914), and probably a couple others across the World Wars.

• Like 2