Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA 2.9 "Major Powers update"

o Barão

Yes, sorry, provinces indeed.

But Nick said in my nation thread some time ago that provinces are hardcoded; meaning we can't set e.g. Southern and Northern Norway to Home, when making a new nation as Norway. Thus, we won't have Crew or an army, since Home Population will be 0, and Other Population whatever those province poulations are

• Like 1

@MDHansen @o Barão ok I added support for having the values in ports and provinces actually applied. Just set taf_override_map to 1 in params and the files will be used.

Note you can't add new provinces or ports, though if you really care I can add that. But you can change all the stats, change what neighbors what, change who controls what by default, what's a home province, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Wait, what do you mean by region? I don't see anything like that in the game code so far, just references to whether provinces are home provinces or not (and that's just set in the provinces TextAsset). And the Army Force For Province stuff does some stuff where it checks for home provinces vs not, haven't bothered to fully analyze yet, but not seeing anything hardcoded. Given how there's nothing else in the code that makes _any_ reference to specific nations by name, to my knowledge, I'd be shocked if that were so, and not some function of something like "is this a part of the world where this player has home provinces, then it's a home region".

He is referring to the fact that when we made any minor nation playable, the game couldn't read the population numbers from the "home" regions. So it was impossible for us to have any army or recruit any sailor for our ships.

It can be a soft lock because there are flags missing from all minor nations to represent the type of governments, so the modifiers are not being used, or it can be something hardcoded. I believe it can be related to the flags missing.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MDHansen said:

next project; add ALL nations as major 

<insert Mr.Burns Excellent gif>

😁

My list will be. 

Dutch - I still don't know, but small capital ships.

Portugal - British units without capital ships

Ottoman empire - Mix Germany and Austrian

Brazil, Chile, Argentina, each one with a mix of units from European nations and America.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, o Barão said:

Praise the Lord 🙏 

This sure revives my interest with the game.

Glad to hear! I definitely want you engaged. :D

7 hours ago, o Barão said:

😁

My list will be. 

Dutch - I still don't know, but small capital ships.

Portugal - British units without capital ships

Ottoman empire - Mix Germany and Austrian

Brazil, Chile, Argentina, each one with a mix of units from European nations and America.

I would expect the Ottomans to also have some British hulls, given their historical ordering from Armstrong/Elswick and Vickers?

7 hours ago, MDHansen said:

yup. I was gonna add dutch, portuguese and ottomans aswell. was considering also brazil

its gonna be a busy weekend :D

Looking forward to the results!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

I would expect the Ottomans to also have some British hulls, given their historical ordering from Armstrong/Elswick and Vickers?:D

You know more than me. 😁

I will need to research careful before making any decision. 🤗

8 hours ago, o Barão said:

Woo!  Time for the Rivadavia and Minas Geraes to finally shoot it out.

1 hour ago, o Barão said:

You know more than me. 😁

I will need to research careful before making any decision. 🤗

Erin was originally ordered by the Ottomans, and Agincourt had been bought by the Brazilians but when their economy took a nosedive it was sold to the Ottomans.  Both would be seized for use by the Royal Navy when WW1 broke out despite being fully paid for by the Ottomans.  Erin is particularly interesting as she was a midway point between the Iron Duke and KGV designs, meanwhile Agincourt that could be either Brazilian, Ottoman, or both, managed to cram in 7 12" turrets on its centerline.  She was extremely long for a battleship at the time and only as fast as one at 22kt while being as thinly protected as a battlecruiser with 9" of belt armor, relying on her massive firepower of 14 12" guns over speed or armor.  Not really sure what a good name for that sort of over-long ship would be.

13 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Note you can't add new provinces or ports, though if you really care I can add that. But you can change all the stats, change what neighbors what, change who controls what by default, what's a home province, etc.

Do the home province changes include by campaign start date?  There's weirdness in the 1890 start as a result since Tsingtao and Kwang-Chou-Wan have the "home province" flag for their eventual ownership by China... but since they're German and French respectively in 1890 it means those two nations wind up owning them as home provinces.  As a result Franco-Sino and German-Sino wars are... interesting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

Do the home province changes include by campaign start date?  There's weirdness in the 1890 start as a result since Tsingtao and Kwang-Chou-Wan have the "home province" flag for their eventual ownership by China... but since they're German and French respectively in 1890 it means those two nations wind up owning them as home provinces.  As a result Franco-Sino and German-Sino wars are... interesting.

No, the game doesn't do that. I mean, I could write that feature easily enough, but there isn't stock support for it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NathanKell said:

No, the game doesn't do that. I mean, I could write that feature easily enough, but there isn't stock support for it.

Would be great if you could.  Or could even just code it as a home for specific countries, similar to how PDX games have cores.

23 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

Would be great if you could.  Or could even just code it as a home for specific countries, similar to how PDX games have cores.

A province is a home province for a player if:

• It is of type 'home', AND
  • either its claim player is that player, or its initial controller is that player.

I guess I could support setting a flag on provinces where if the flag is set, only the claim player gets it as home province, not its initial controller too. This would only make a difference in the sort of case you describe. I'm not exactly comfortable making that change always, because otherwise a province could never be home for more than one player.

@o Barão NathanKell has gone and added loose file loading.  Now you no longer need to rebuild the resources file every time you test or need to update, and we players no longer need to overwrite the base game files to install.

Edited by SpardaSon21

18 minutes ago, SpardaSon21 said:

@o Barão NathanKell has gone and added loose file loading.  Now you no longer need to rebuild the resources file every time you test or need to update, and we players no longer need to overwrite the base game files to install.

By using the "mods" folder?

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

By using the "mods" folder?

Yes, and putting all the tables there as csv files (i.e. parts.csv, shipTypes.csv, randPartsRefit.csv, etc. Note that capitalization matters, they're case sensitive since they have to match the actual asset names ingame.)

Note that I don't have loose file loading for localization (the English.lng file) but I can look into that I guess.

That said if you're gonna be pinged about anything, I'd say the guns thing is as useful--finally you can represent early non-quickfiring 6in guns as well as late-WW2 6in guns by using, like, 7 or 8 marks of gun. Because if I recall in some of the calibers NAR is really hurting by not being able to have more than 5 versions of a gun.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Yes, and putting all the tables there as csv files (i.e. parts.csv, shipTypes.csv, randPartsRefit.csv, etc. Note that capitalization matters, they're case sensitive since they have to match the actual asset names ingame.)

Very interesting. I already start working on updating the files for 1.6, and I will try that approach. :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Note that I don't have loose file loading for localization (the English.lng file) but I can look into that I guess.

That said if you're gonna be pinged about anything, I'd say the guns thing is as useful--finally you can represent early non-quickfiring 6in guns as well as late-WW2 6in guns by using, like, 7 or 8 marks of gun. Because if I recall in some of the calibers NAR is really hurting by not being able to have more than 5 versions of a gun.

Fantastic news

• Like 2