Game-Labs Forum

1880 Campaign Start Date Posiblity of Add-on / DLC / Mod?

semko64

I've seen quite a few people ask for aircraft carriers and/or moving campaign end/start date past 1940's but adding planes would be far more complicated to implement and I'm not sure how they could even work in this game. Having the campaign start at 1880 wouldn't require a massive change to game mechanics and for a game called Dreadnoughts makes more sense. Including the 1880s would add the generation of warship development before the one labeled the pre-dreadnought era of battleships and cruisers, though I'd argue that era already started in the 80's. The 1880's had a pretty big variety of battleship design and armament layout (barbettes, protected barbette, turrets fore & aft, central in echelon turrets, and some central citadel batteries). Along with that guns being finalized from muzzle loaders to rifled breach loaders, armor went from iron with backing to specialized steel plates, and engines also had big improvements. This decade with all its various ship designs in my opinion would be a lot more interesting to bring into the game, especially since the 1880's are generally a forgotten decade when talking about warships while aircraft carriers have been done in other games. I know its very unlikely this DLC / mod will ever happen, but I definitely would prefer it to aircraft carriers and planes coming in. 

• Like 6

On 2/19/2023 at 3:38 PM, semko64 said:

I've seen quite a few people ask for aircraft carriers and/or moving campaign end/start date past 1940's but adding planes would be far more complicated to implement and I'm not sure how they could even work in this game. Having the campaign start at 1880 wouldn't require a massive change to game mechanics and for a game called Dreadnoughts makes more sense. Including the 1880s would add the generation of warship development before the one labeled the pre-dreadnought era of battleships and cruisers, though I'd argue that era already started in the 80's. The 1880's had a pretty big variety of battleship design and armament layout (barbettes, protected barbette, turrets fore & aft, central in echelon turrets, and some central citadel batteries). Along with that guns being finalized from muzzle loaders to rifled breach loaders, armor went from iron with backing to specialized steel plates, and engines also had big improvements. This decade with all its various ship designs in my opinion would be a lot more interesting to bring into the game, especially since the 1880's are generally a forgotten decade when talking about warships while aircraft carriers have been done in other games. I know its very unlikely this DLC / mod will ever happen, but I definitely would prefer it to aircraft carriers and planes coming in. 

I want campaign from Lissa (1860-s) to 1900-1905. And 4 turns per month. 

• 1 month later...

DLC starting from 1860 sounds great. It would work here well, having sails on warships and paddle steamers! But gameplay until the 1950  (and uh, also in 1940) needs obviously aircraft and aircraft carriers, which basically makes this a totally new game. Submarines can somehow be worked into the game, but divebombers, heavy bombers, torpedo bombers, fighter cover for ships and air combat aren't just an addon, it's another game I guess.

Hope a 1860 DLC would be done. 

On 4/8/2023 at 6:06 AM, SSU said:

DLC starting from 1860 sounds great. It would work here well, having sails on warships and paddle steamers! But gameplay until the 1950  (and uh, also in 1940) needs obviously aircraft and aircraft carriers, which basically makes this a totally new game. Submarines can somehow be worked into the game, but divebombers, heavy bombers, torpedo bombers, fighter cover for ships and air combat aren't just an addon, it's another game I guess.

Hope a 1860 DLC would be done. 

Just my two cents on CVs from personal observation.

Adding them to this game I believe would be beyond its original intended scope and would be too much work for too little reward.  If the carriers are added to the real time battles, an AA system needs to be designed, implemented and tested on top of the already existing ship designer.  If the carriers are treaded the same as submarines, modules, like AA packages, and a system to handle them need to be put in game like how depth charges, mines and minesweeping were.  All of this without obsoleting a majority of the ships in game with the carriers power projection and combat abilities.

Having said the above, I do agree with the later statement, if a new game was made from the ground up to have carriers in it, it would come out better.  Maybe Ultimate Admiral Cold War or something.

• Like 1