Game-Labs Forum

Behind in Technology?

Hardlec

A few possible reasons:

1) You are actively using research focus. While active, it greatly slows down the overall research speed, while boosting the selected tech

2) You are playing on a high difficulty setting, thus your Naval Budget (and therefore max research budget) is smaller than in other countries

3) You are not at war, while other countries constantly are. When at war, the naval budget is greatly increased, and therefore so is max research budget

4) Through low transport capacity or some unfortunate choices in random events, you have driven your GDP and/or Naval Budget % to the point where it's much lower than that of other countries 

• Like 2

Focuses take more months of research away from you then they add 

Here are the values in params [vanilla]

research_progress_base,1.5,"base research progress (percent), will take 100/x months to research technology",0.8,,,,,,
research_late_years_to_double,25,"double research speed, if technology is late by this amount of years",12,,,,,,
research_early_years_to_stall,10,"zero research speed, if tech is too early by this amount of years",10,,,,,,
research_time_mod_min,0.4,lowest possible research multiplier from time difference,0.75,,,,,,
research_time_mod_max,1.35,highest possible research multiplier from time difference,1.15,,,,,,
research_budget_mod_min,0.67,highest possible research multiplier from budget difference to richest player,0.5,,,,,,
research_priority_weight,6,increased weight for prioritized researches,2,,,,,,
research_priority_penalty,14,weight penalty for non prioritized researches,8,,,,,,
tech_mod_randomness,0,randomness for each player's hidden research mod for each tech type: one plus minus this value,0.3,,,,,,
tech_budget_max,35,"maximal amount of budget spent on research, percent",50,,,,,,
tech_budget_boost,110,"boost of research from maximum tech budget relative to average budget (percent), if above average",30,"formula: b1, see formula:",https://www.desmos.com/calculator/v2kyqokmeb,,,,
tech_budget_reduce,100,"reduce of research from maximum tech budget relative to average budget (percent), if below average",100,formula: b2,,,,,
tech_budget_curver,3.8,curver of arc for tech research speed formula,5.7,formula: a,,,,,
tech_priorities,3,max amount of tech priorities,3,,,,,,

The 'relative to average budget (percent' which i boldened makes me think that it doesn't care what the dollars spent on research are, only the 

My observations in vanilla are that, if you max out research at all times and don't touch the focuses, you can just about keep up with most technologies. (As defined by not having the year associated with what you are researching in the UI far behind the game year. So i am not making opinions about what year research should come out. The AI on the other hand will not only fall behind in terms of research but will not really show the best research they have in most of their vessels. So you end up fighting AI that has technology 10-20 years out of date. I 

Those experiences are why I made these changes in the balance mod [bold - my words]

research_progress_base,3.1,"base research progress (percent), will take 100/x months to research technology",0.8,,,,,, default rate of research doubled
research_late_years_to_double,5,"double research speed, if technology is late by this amount of years",12,,,,,, Helps push lagging countries faster
research_early_years_to_stall,5,"zero research speed, if tech is too early by this amount of years",10,,,,,, Helps keep tech from going too far ahead
research_time_mod_min,0.15,lowest possible research multiplier from time difference,0.75,,,,,, similar affect as above
research_time_mod_max,1.5,highest possible research multiplier from time difference,1.15,,,,,, similar affect as above
research_budget_mod_min,0.67,highest possible research multiplier from budget difference to richest player,0.5,,,,,, lowered bonus from maxing out research
research_priority_weight,2,increased weight for prioritized researches,2,,,,,, lowered the bonus from doing a focus
research_priority_penalty,3,weight penalty for non prioritized researches,8,,,,,, significantly reduced the cost from doing a focus
tech_mod_randomness,0,randomness for each player's hidden research mod for each tech type: one plus minus this value,0.3,,,,,,
tech_budget_max,45,"maximal amount of budget spent on research, percent",50,,,,,, makes research a bit more expensive
tech_budget_boost,75,"boost of research from maximum tech budget relative to average budget (percent), if above average",30,"formula: b1, see formula:",https://www.desmos.com/calculator/v2kyqokmeb,,,,
tech_budget_reduce,100,"reduce of research from maximum tech budget relative to average budget (percent), if below average",100,formula: b2,,,,,
tech_budget_curver,3.8,curver of arc for tech research speed formula,5.7,formula: a,,,,,
tech_priorities,3,max amount of tech priorities,3,,,,,,