Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

Modding


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Now I know modding isn't supported as of right now. But after looking into the game files, I'm wondering if the game has small encryption on the files or a compression. If so, is it possible to access the game's files. 

 

PS. Forgive me if trying to get into the game's files isn't allowed I just want to mess around with the max gun size and such 

Edited by Sapphire
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They've used AES encryption to make the various save files unintelligible in the latest beta (1.06). I don't know about the core files but if they were able to be changed before I'd expect they're now encrypted also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

roll back to 1.05, the files arn't encrypted in 1.05 and its overall the better version, I suggest setting updates on the game to only when I launch, and then only launching the game with steam in offline mode. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Candle_86 said:

roll back to 1.05, the files arn't encrypted in 1.05 and its overall the better version, I suggest setting updates on the game to only when I launch, and then only launching the game with steam in offline mode. 

I'm not referring to save files, I'm talking about the actual game unity files. They are either encrypted or compressed, it would be nice to know which one so I can mess around with the textures for a possible future mod. 

Edited by Sapphire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sapphire said:

I'm not referring to save files, I'm talking about the actual game unity files. They are either encrypted or compressed, it would be nice to know which one so I can mess around with the textures for a possible future mod. 

I recall someone saying the core files are both compressed and encrypted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, are people who made their reputations by modding other games now stopping others from modding their game? Over the last several years the greatest strength of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts has been the ability to play with the save files, without this the game is heading towards an obscure and tedious future.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most games only add modding at launch or even later. Just look at TW: Warhammer 3 as a rather extreme example (or a good example of what not to do,  but that's beside the point).

Technically this game is currently in a pre-Alpha stage and at times you get patches and hotfixes multiple times a week. I can very well understand why they would want people to not fiddle with the files so they can get more accurate feedback at the current stage.

Don't let the label "beta" patch fool you. It's just called that way because the feature that allows multiple branches of the same game at the same time just happens to be called beta in Steam, but this game is still a long way away from an actual beta version, much less the proper release.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Most games only add modding at launch or even later. Just look at TW: Warhammer 3 as a rather extreme example (or a good example of what not to do,  but that's beside the point).

Technically this game is currently in a pre-Alpha stage and at times you get patches and hotfixes multiple times a week. I can very well understand why they would want people to not fiddle with the files so they can get more accurate feedback at the current stage.

Don't let the label "beta" patch fool you. It's just called that way because the feature that allows multiple branches of the same game at the same time just happens to be called beta in Steam, but this game is still a long way away from an actual beta version, much less the proper release.

Fair enough, still would be nice to have the option that if enabled would ignore sending data to devs and disabling of logging for bug reports. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2022 at 11:24 PM, kjg000 said:

Sorry, are people who made their reputations by modding other games now stopping others from modding their game? Over the last several years the greatest strength of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts has been the ability to play with the save files, without this the game is heading towards an obscure and tedious future.

It's still possible in 1.05 though not in the beta. Should be noted Cheat engine still works for the tonnage limit, I'm looking into obfuscation the game uses to scramble parts of the code which prevents modding from being possible right now. If someone figures it out modding would be technically possible but it doesn't stop the devs from just changing the obfuscation method on the next update. 

Edited by Sapphire
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2022 at 11:35 PM, Norbert Sattler said:

Most games only add modding at launch or even later. Just look at TW: Warhammer 3 as a rather extreme example (or a good example of what not to do,  but that's beside the point).

Technically this game is currently in a pre-Alpha stage and at times you get patches and hotfixes multiple times a week. I can very well understand why they would want people to not fiddle with the files so they can get more accurate feedback at the current stage.

Don't let the label "beta" patch fool you. It's just called that way because the feature that allows multiple branches of the same game at the same time just happens to be called beta in Steam, but this game is still a long way away from an actual beta version, much less the proper release.

Yes, however UA:Dreadnoughts has been in development for several years and looks like being in dev for several more, no slight on the Dev’s, its a massive undertaking. Still, I don’t think I’d follow for that much longer without the option to muck about with the save files.

Sure, actual modding, i.e. creating scenarios, user attempts to share their interpretations of historical ships or user created components etc. will need to wait for more maturity.

Yes, the community needs to be aware and responsible when submitting feedback on bugs, ensuring it is only based on un-modded game play and this includes instances of ANY modding, especially use of programs like Cheat Engine. I don’t discourage such modding, but bugs cannot be based on games using such files.

Rolling back to an earlier version of the game, where you can still mod the save files, will not help the game develop and so is a two edged sword. Likewise breaking the Dev’s attempts to prevent modding will only slow things down if bugs are reported based on these games.

Perhaps releasing a decryption tool which enables files to be edited then validly re-encrypted but with an onscreen icon indicating a modded game would be the way to go, but this increases the workload on the Dev’s and will slow down development.

So, no easy fix. However I do think the success of the game will rely in large part on the ability to at least edit savefiles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kjg000 said:

Yes, however UA:Dreadnoughts has been in development for several years and looks like being in dev for several more, no slight on the Dev’s, its a massive undertaking. Still, I don’t think I’d follow for that much longer without the option to muck about with the save files.

Sure, actual modding, i.e. creating scenarios, user attempts to share their interpretations of historical ships or user created components etc. will need to wait for more maturity.

Yes, the community needs to be aware and responsible when submitting feedback on bugs, ensuring it is only based on un-modded game play and this includes instances of ANY modding, especially use of programs like Cheat Engine. I don’t discourage such modding, but bugs cannot be based on games using such files.

Rolling back to an earlier version of the game, where you can still mod the save files, will not help the game develop and so is a two edged sword. Likewise breaking the Dev’s attempts to prevent modding will only slow things down if bugs are reported based on these games.

Perhaps releasing a decryption tool which enables files to be edited then validly re-encrypted but with an onscreen icon indicating a modded game would be the way to go, but this increases the workload on the Dev’s and will slow down development.

So, no easy fix. However I do think the success of the game will rely in large part on the ability to at least edit savefiles.

I agree, or disable exporting of logs if modded, I'm hoping the save file lock is only for beta not for when 1.06 comes out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...