Game-Labs Forum

What is the chances of UA:D getting a console port?

Ironworkrocks

With the new power of the next gen consoles id love to see a port of this game, id be willing to pay 60$ for it now that the campaign is out and I've seen a little. I know it's rough right now but it's basically a pre alpha and it's still amazing. If games like Stellaris and Crusader Kings III can make a amazing port with a good UI im sure this game could too. Id love to hear from the devs or your thoughs

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ironworkrocks said:

With the new power of the next gen consoles id love to see a port of this game, id be willing to pay 60$ for it now that the campaign is out and I've seen a little. I know it's rough right now but it's basically a pre alpha and it's still amazing. If games like Stellaris and Crusader Kings III can make a amazing port with a good UI im sure this game could too. Id love to hear from the devs or your thoughs

Please no, but this will never happen, thank God. People need to stop pushing for games clearly designed for the PC to be on consoles. Something like this requires a mouse and keyboard. The dev team is limited and can't be distracted worrying about such things.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
On 12/16/2021 at 11:49 AM, Littorio said:

Please no, but this will never happen, thank God. People need to stop pushing for games clearly designed for the PC to be on consoles. Something like this requires a mouse and keyboard. The dev team is limited and can't be distracted worrying about such things.

This is such a stupid ass take. The only valid point you made was the work load. You say it “requires mouse and keyboard” which is so blatantly false it’s funny. Crusader Kings III, Stellaris, Diablo, Smite, Age of Empires, Rust, Minecraft, City Skylines, and more are all games you’d expect you’d need a “mouse and keyboard” for. But with some remastering or changing of mechanics console ports are possible for nearly any game now that new generations are out. This gate keeping mentality is very lame. I would love to see UA:D on console, but we probably won’t. Not because of “mouse and keyboard” but because of work load and cost. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 7:33 AM, Sinful said:

This is such a stupid ass take. The only valid point you made was the work load. You say it “requires mouse and keyboard” which is so blatantly false it’s funny. Crusader Kings III, Stellaris, Diablo, Smite, Age of Empires, Rust, Minecraft, City Skylines, and more are all games you’d expect you’d need a “mouse and keyboard” for. But with some remastering or changing of mechanics console ports are possible for nearly any game now that new generations are out. This gate keeping mentality is very lame. I would love to see UA:D on console, but we probably won’t. Not because of “mouse and keyboard” but because of work load and cost. 

Your rudeness aside, anyone who would prefer to try and play a Paradox title or an RTS like AoE on a console is bonkers in my opinion, and solely looking to make life "easier," consolidating media consumption in a single, likely cheaper, platform. You could have made a economic argument, which I would understand, but you did not.

The only well-done RTS on a console was the Halo Wars series because it was specifically made that way from the ground-up with the intention of being for consoles. This was done given the franchise's history of making first-person shooters publicly palatable, and seen as "possible," on consoles. Yes, hold your screams dear sir, I see the irony.

The difference however is that taking the UI of something like Dune, and getting to Halo: Combat Evolved, isn't too difficult. There's only so many elements that need to be onscreen for a pleasurable UX. I would not, nor would I ever, wish to play something like CKII or III on a console, and try to navigate the myriad menus with a handful of buttons and a pair of thumbsticks.

In conclusion, the only possible argument that makes senses for console-ization of a complex, historically PC-centric title is to bring it to a wider audience that doesn't want to have to spend $$$ for a solid PC. Given the utterly awful state of this game and it's track record of slow progress, terrible communication, repeated claims of fixing still-extant bugs, takeover by a mobile game company, and general malaise, I shudder to to think of any resources being diverted to console-ization.