Game-Labs Forum

Campaign question.

1910 is the first period where you start with actual dreadnoughts as a starting technology, torpedoes have more than 1.5 km max range and you can have ships with more than 2 main gun turrets from the go, so the feel is quite different from the 1890 and 1900 starts. The much higher ship speeds also change the feel quite a bit.

Later periods generally will see you with fewer number of ships and the repair costs go through the roof, making the outcome of any individual battle far more impactful.

Whether you like that more or less than the pre-dread era really is a matter of personal taste, so I can't say it is objectively better or worse.

Personally I enjoy the 1900 start the most, since you have the biggest changes throughout the campaign with the switch from pre-dreads and armoured cruisers to full dreadnoughts and heavy cruisers and the torpedo ranges starting at minimum, but actually going up in a meaningful way.

The 1890 has the problem that you start out with so many technologies that don't seem to do anything or just add small passive bonuses, but that you have to get through before you unlock new stuff, which makes it somewhat frustrating to me.

I personally can’t stand the early dates. Not for a campaign, at least. 

Don’t get me wrong, crafting and fighting pre-dreadnoughts is fun, when I feel like it

But to be stuck with ships that can’t hit other literal battleships at more than 5km for an entire campaign? It’s an absolute slog.

And if that is your bag, awesome, you do you. But I personally prefer crafting a smaller, more quality navy, with battles that are actually interesting.