Game-Labs Forum

I'm a huge fan of the US "standard type" battleships created during the 1910s and early 20s. My issue is that the hulls available during that time period don't allow recreation of dreadnoughts historically made, such as the New York class (I just wanna make the USS Texas :P). The hull forms don't have the deck space for 14" guns, as they're either too large for the narrow bow area or just can't place as many as the New York class did. Haven't tested the Nevada nor Colorado classes yet, but I will soon. Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

How I've gotten around such problems is just tossing displacement values to the wind. Yes the USS Texas didn't weigh as much as it does in game whenever I make something similar, but it's the only way I can get five dual 14" gun turrets on the thing when it comes to the two fore, two aft and one at mid ship. As for the Nevada and Colorado class battleships, you can get their gun layouts and armaments correct (for the most part, secondary guns can be a pain in the butt) but the main issue that has always been there is the lack of superstructures that resemble or match those ships superstructures.

Long story short, my fellow US Navy Enthusiast: there are very few ships that can be faithfully recreated in game when it comes to displacement, superstructure/funnel designs, and whatever else you can think of. Often times, you'll find yourself having to increase the displacement value in order to get the hull large enough to fit what you want, while other times the somewhat limited "tower" options can leave you with little to no wiggle room when it comes to design choices and gun placement. A prime example of this is when I try to recreate the North Carolina or South Dakota class battleships. Due to the way the towers are, I can't really fit all the secondary guns on it in that "cramped" manner that you see.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'd also like to be able to build Indiana Class battleships and the St. Louis class Armored Cruisers. I can't even build half of either with the way things are.

The Indiana Class was layed down in 1891
2 × twin 13 in guns
4 × twin 8 in guns
4 × 6 in guns (until 1908)
12 × 3 in guns (after 1908)
20 × 6-pounder 57 mm (2.2 in) guns
6 × 1-pounder 37 mm (1.5 in) guns
and
4 × 18 inch (450 mm), semi-underwater, torpedo tubes

and had Harvy armor for her
18 inches of mid-belt armor
~8.5 inch of bow/stern belt
15 inches on the turrets
and 5 in for the hull

Then she had Nickle-Steel for her
Conningtower at 10 inches
secondary turrets' 6 inches
and
3 inches of deck armor for all sections.

As it stands, the first actual battleships the U.S. ever had are impossible to build, just looking at guns and armor. Not even looking at their 22 kn speed or any subsystems.