Game-Labs Forum

@Nick: Features that would improve the game (and not hard to implement)

MarkShot

(1)  Show all paths like when you press the SPACE key in TW.  Given that some of the paths are implicit, because a unit is currently engaged, then implicit paths should have different shading than ones that are explicit (unimpeded).

(2)  Being able to jump to the camp UI during a battle in read only mode to simply see your TOE.  So, you can have a better sense of what has come and will come.  (I have kept screenshots for this purpose, but a built-in mechanism would be better.)

I don't expect further changes to this game.  It is fantastic already, but these would just make it even better.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MarkShot said:

(1)  Show all paths like when you press the SPACE key in TW.  Given that some of the paths are implicit, because a unit is currently engaged, then implicit paths should have different shading than ones that are explicit (unimpeded).

(2)  Being able to jump to the camp UI during a battle in read only mode to simply see your TOE.  So, you can have a better sense of what has come and will come.  (I have kept screenshots for this purpose, but a built-in mechanism would be better.)

I don't expect further changes to this game.  It is fantastic already, but these would just make it even better.

Thanks.

@MarkShot TOE?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I want to add one more UI issue.

The lack of a true 3D camera does not impact game play and I can see how that could save greatly on development budget.  But I often write AARs for friends.  I don't think this game is very AAR friendly, since I cannot frame the action in most dramatic way to go with the narrative.

I have two realism issues:

That cannon can blast away through or in close proximity to their own troops.  This vastly simplifies their use.  What it the point I having such beautifully rendered maps when LOF for cannons play no role?

Officers are completely interchangeable and grouping of brigades are too.  I mean during the actual battle.  One would assume command and men who have trained together fight better than random grouping of officers and brigades.  I think this would add more realism, and more challenge to fight your battles with consideration of the organic OOB.  Here the organic OOB is only used as an aid in camp, and for sequencing arrivals to the battlefield, but nothing more.

---

This is an excellent game.  Perhaps, I am asking for something too hardcore, but there are truly gems in this game.  The OOB rapid onscreen selection.  The drawing of battle lines.  The ability to draw non-linear path without resorting to waypoints.  The automatic unit spacing to accomodate frontage.  The use of real foot prints and not just flag locations.  All of this stuff is cutting edge.  But I cannot help to suggest what might even make it better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 5:19 AM, MarkShot said:

I think I want to add one more UI issue.

The lack of a true 3D camera does not impact game play and I can see how that could save greatly on development budget.  But I often write AARs for friends.  I don't think this game is very AAR friendly, since I cannot frame the action in most dramatic way to go with the narrative.

I have two realism issues:

That cannon can blast away through or in close proximity to their own troops.  This vastly simplifies their use.  What it the point I having such beautifully rendered maps when LOF for cannons play no role?

Officers are completely interchangeable and grouping of brigades are too.  I mean during the actual battle.  One would assume command and men who have trained together fight better than random grouping of officers and brigades.  I think this would add more realism, and more challenge to fight your battles with consideration of the organic OOB.  Here the organic OOB is only used as an aid in camp, and for sequencing arrivals to the battlefield, but nothing more.

---

This is an excellent game.  Perhaps, I am asking for something too hardcore, but there are truly gems in this game.  The OOB rapid onscreen selection.  The drawing of battle lines.  The ability to draw non-linear path without resorting to waypoints.  The automatic unit spacing to accomodate frontage.  The use of real foot prints and not just flag locations.  All of this stuff is cutting edge.  But I cannot help to suggest what might even make it better.

@MarkShot Both of the issues you mentioned are addressed in my submod of the J&P mod. There is a release thread in this forum.