Game-Labs Forum

The question of fuel and the effects it has in the campaign.

Kaiser Hans

Hey I have interesting question to ask about how fuel would work in the campaign, will there be some sort of rudimentary fuel/supply system or is it just a debuff to research rate for oil fired engine like in Rule The Waves?

As we all know Germany, France, Italy, Austria-Hungary  and Japan did not have easy access to  a source of oil in their respective home areas. Will this have a affect on how we design ships and what colonies/goals we will gun for?

Lets say example i'm playing as Germany and I want to use oil fired engine but don't have a source of oil because I don't own any colonies with oil, will this limit my capacity to wage a effective war against a neighbors? If so how will it work? Would I get a debuff to range or top speed, or instead ill get events where my fleet can not sortie do to fuel shortages, or can I not use oil fired engine at all? And because of all these disadvantages I instead use coal for designing future ships at the cost of weight and other bonuses of using oil.

Another reason I believe that a fuel system should be added is for use in blockades, assuming that the campaign will reflect our would for the first couple years and the UK will get a massive fleet. Can I sink oil containers to starve the Royal Navy or any Navy of precious oil? Thus making their massive oil fueled navy stop dead in the water and become stuck in port because of the fuel crisis they will now have to contend with.

I find the logistics of navies to be an interesting concept to bake into the game, and would really immerse me into the role of an admiral trying to expand my glorious navy while also forcing me to make strategic moves to procure resources to keep a modern navy in tip top shape.

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

We cannot share any specifics yet, but what you wrote is definitely going to be simulated in the campaign.

Thanks for the replay! Good to know that this will be in the game, thank you for all your hard work to get this game on its feet and moving forward.