Game-Labs Forum

Collecting more data: game changes user controls

Hi there,

I wanted to report a minor but annoying issue with UA:D.  After playing (and exiting) the game, my @ and " keys become swapped on my keyboard.

My Windows 10 is set up for US English and a US English keyboard, so my @ key is a shifted 2 and my " key is a shifted ' and is to the immediate left of my Enter key.

After running UA:D, in other applications (eg: browser, Minecraft, etc.) the keys become swapped; that is a shifted 2 prints " and a shifted ' prints @.

I am able to reverse the problem by restarting my PC, or by going into "Advanced Keyboard Settings" in Windows and selecting "Override for default input method" and setting it to US English.

Please let me know if you'd like more system data or for me to submit a bug from within UA:D to include more info.

Thanks!

I attempted to force an update, but my automatic updates seem to be up-to-date.

Is it possible it's the launcher?  I'm not sure how to separate the two - let me know if I can run the game directly if that's a test I can do.

I repeated the problem today - my computer's been up for about 4 days.  Watched another Stealth17 video and tried to replicate a scenario he played.  Right before I launched the launcher, I tried hitting shift+2, got an At sign;  played a custom game, and on exit, Shift+2 gives a quote.  Pretty sure it's related in some way to your software.  Just as mystified as you though, since there's no reason for that to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

We cannot reproduce your issue based on your description. We will keep topic for more data from others if others have the same issue. Or please if you can post the video or series of screens of how we can replicate the problem

• 2 weeks later...

I also had a problem with my keyboard, but happened when I started the launcher for the first time and went to sign up for an account. At first, I thought nothing of it as my number pad wasn't working while trying to type in the password I had just created, however when I used the numbers above the qwerty keys it worked just fine. I then realized something was really wrong when I went to copy and paste the game key into the launcher.

Whenever I used ctrl (left) + v the only thing that appeared in the launcher was v. Then when I tried to manually type my key I would get to the letter U and the key would disappear as if I hit the delete key and only the last five characters that I typed after U would show up. I tried to type my key in 3 or 4 times before giving up and trying to reach this support page, but I couldn't even do that. It was like my keyboard was off and not registering anything that I was typing. I thought may be the bluetooth receiver for my keyboard was losing signal, but the onscreen keyboard was acting the exact same way my physical keyboard was.

After restarting my computer the keyboard worked fine and I was able to input my game key and install the game. I have no idea how it happened, but I can definitely confirm with Doctor Lucky that the launcher can wreak havoc on your keyboard.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2020 at 8:13 AM, Ink said:

Update:

We cannot reproduce your issue based on your description. We will keep topic for more data from others if others have the same issue. Or please if you can post the video or series of screens of how we can replicate the problem

Okay, I've managed to reproduce it.

I have both US and UK english languages available in my Windows setup, but I typically use US.

The default windows keys for switching languages is "Left Alt + Left Shift" which will rotate to the next available keyboard config. (Try this outside the game with 2 of more keyboards on your list)

Since "Left Alt + Left Shift + Right Click" is a commonly used targeting combination, with two keyboards it's about 50-50 at the end of a scenario whether I'm in the original or alternate keyboard setting.

This is going to be an issue for anyone with multiple keyboard configs, which is uncommon but not unheard of. Don't know if it's possible to override the windows hotkey in this case.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:07 PM, Doctor Lucky said:

Okay, I've managed to reproduce it.

I have both US and UK english languages available in my Windows setup, but I typically use US.

The default windows keys for switching languages is "Left Alt + Left Shift" which will rotate to the next available keyboard config. (Try this outside the game with 2 of more keyboards on your list)

Since "Left Alt + Left Shift + Right Click" is a commonly used targeting combination, with two keyboards it's about 50-50 at the end of a scenario whether I'm in the original or alternate keyboard setting.

This is going to be an issue for anyone with multiple keyboard configs, which is uncommon but not unheard of. Don't know if it's possible to override the windows hotkey in this case.

Admiral, thank you for the detailed feedback. We will try to address the problem.