Game-Labs Forum

Boarding Questions

Yaramir

I have the following questions about boarding.  I am thinking that this will not only be helpful for many others, but perhaps these topics can somehow be addressed in a future tooltip or tutorial feature.

(1) Do sailor's weapons affect boarding success? For example, does choosing gun vs. gun+bayonet for my sailors make any difference when boarding.  The chosen weapon is their weapon in a land battle, but during boarding?  

(2) When using my transport ship to board an enemy ship with my soldiers, does my type of soldier, their guns, bayonet or not, and rank, affect boarding success?

Any guidance/advice is much appreciated, thanks.

P.S.

On a completely different note, but I don't want to start a new topic for it.  I had no idea that certain ship upgrades are permanent. A tooltip about that fact may be a helpful future feature, unless it's already there and I just missed it.

Edited by Yaramir

2 hours ago, Yaramir said:

(1) Do sailor's weapons affect boarding success? For example, does choosing gun vs. gun+bayonet for my sailors make any difference when boarding.  The chosen weapon is their weapon in a land battle, but during boarding?  

Yes, weapon melee damage affects damage dealt in boarding.

(2) When using my transport ship to board an enemy ship with my soldiers, does my type of soldier, their guns, bayonet or not, and rank, affect boarding success?

Yes. The unit's stats, equipped weapons, perks, soldier type all impact how good the unit is at boarding. The lower deck of the transport compared to the higher decks on warships will also have an effect.

On a completely different note, but I don't want to start a new topic for it.  I had no idea that certain ship upgrades are permanent. A tooltip about that fact may be a helpful future feature, unless it's already there and I just missed it.

Permanent upgrades have a small hammer icon in the tooltip description. Though I think the latest beta patch lets you pay a fee to upgrade them now.

40 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Yes, weapon melee damage affects damage dealt in boarding.

Yes. The unit's stats, equipped weapons, perks, soldier type all impact how good the unit is at boarding. The lower deck of the transport compared to the higher decks on warships will also have an effect.

Permanent upgrades have a small hammer icon in the tooltip description. Though I think the latest beta patch lets you pay a fee to upgrade them now.

Very helpful, thanks!

Had no idea that the slots in the transport correspond to decks. Which slot is the upper deck--the leftmost or the rightmost? I assume higher deck has more effect on boarding, per your input?

Regarding free to upgrade permanent upgrades..I have not seen this.  I have the 1st light hull upgrade (to hold more crew for boarding).  I researched the 2nd light hull, but cannot put it on any ships that already have 1st light hull.  I just cannot select that upgrade slot anymore.  Am I doing it wrong?

3 hours ago, Yaramir said:

Regarding free to upgrade permanent upgrades..I have not seen this.  I have the 1st light hull upgrade (to hold more crew for boarding).  I researched the 2nd light hull, but cannot put it on any ships that already have 1st light hull.  I just cannot select that upgrade slot anymore.  Am I doing it wrong?

I thought that change made it into the latest beta patch on steam, though I haven't tried to upgrade those myself yet. If you're not running 0.6.49 or later it definitely won't be there.

3 hours ago, Yaramir said:

Had no idea that the slots in the transport correspond to decks. Which slot is the upper deck--the leftmost or the rightmost? I assume higher deck has more effect on boarding, per your input?

I'm pretty sure those slots just correspond to available spots on the ship. The deck height refers to the ship as a whole. For instance, the top deck of a sloop is going to be lower than the top deck of a 2nd rate. The devs mentioned at one point that there is a penalty for smaller ships boarding larger ones basically.

I am playing off Steam, so I assume I have the latest build.  However, the properties->details tab on build.exe launcher does not have version numbers corresponding to the version you mentioned.  Not sure how to tell then which version I am running. In Steam, the current content buildID is 4776420.

Thanks for clarifying about the decks, and thanks for the tips and answers.

15 minutes ago, Yaramir said:

Are you sure about weapons affecting the boarding success?   The boarding score on my ship's characteristics does not change whether I choose a musket with a bayonet/sword or without. 

When you say "boarding score on my ship's characteristics" do you mean the boarding stat of the ship's assigned crew? 

If so, that stat will not change based on the equipped weapon. The crew boarding stat only displays the skill of the crew itself, it does not display an approximation of melee damage dealt. Both the crew stats and weapon stats affect the melee damage equation however.

4 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

When you say "boarding score on my ship's characteristics" do you mean the boarding stat of the ship's assigned crew? 

If so, that stat will not change based on the equipped weapon. The crew boarding stat only displays the skill of the crew itself, it does not display an approximation of melee damage dealt. Both the crew stats and weapon stats affect the melee damage equation however.

Yup, that's what I meant.  Ok, I had a suspicion that would be the explanation.  Thanks for clarifying.