Game-Labs Forum

First Impressions (update)

KilroyWH78

While im generally satisfied with the game, i would like to point out some issues i have with it.

• Friendly Fire: This issue seems to be more prevalent with land units than ships, even though it still happens. my soldiers will fire each other in the back even if i didnt gave them an engage order or even when they are supposed to be moving. Worse yet is when they are side by side with other friendlies they end up teamkilling each other if the enemy is slighlty closer to another unit, instead of not shooting at all.
  • Ship Combat: This issue i have is due to the fact that even though i bombard an enemy ship they barely suffer any damage to crew, weapons or armour. This image is of a ship which i have been shooting at with ships from 6pdr to 12 pdr armstrongs included and at all angles and distances. this battle took a really long time to finish even though i used both round shot to destroy armour and canons and grapeshot to kill the crew. i defeated it in the end because i had a troop ship full of marines that i could transfer to my ships. https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/793136054344904291/B6B0BD86F68D7566EC659E6D735BB136D0B27266/ I captured the ship in the end and named it HMS Endurance. This photo is on the middle end of the battle, this was the last enemy ship left.
  • Ship Cannons Angle: The cannons in ships have an unnaturally wide angle to shoot, there are several instances where the canons should not be able to shoot an enemy ship, much less hit it. And when they cant shoot they also shouldnt shoot, because if they have no target to shoot at then why shoot and possibly even hit a friendly ship or just delay the whole reload process?

i might update the list again, with more things. or maybe not

Edited by KilroyWH78
Missing issue

On the second point: This looks like an Endymion-class 5th Rate, in which case your facing, which has 22" thick planking on its sides and 17" on the bow, meaning 6pdr armstrongs are going to bounce at a third of their range and 12pdr might be able to penetrate slightly up till half range. The Endymions also have some of the highest hp planking too, about 45% more than the dedaigneuse-class or Hermione-class 5th Rates, which I am guessing based on the picture are your own 5th Rates. Angle of fire also seems to have an influence on penetration, so it could be your chosen angle worsened your damage.

6 hours ago, FailKnight said:

On the second point: This looks like an Endymion-class 5th Rate, in which case your facing, which has 22" thick planking on its sides and 17" on the bow, meaning 6pdr armstrongs are going to bounce at a third of their range and 12pdr might be able to penetrate slightly up till half range. The Endymions also have some of the highest hp planking too, about 45% more than the dedaigneuse-class or Hermione-class 5th Rates, which I am guessing based on the picture are your own 5th Rates. Angle of fire also seems to have an influence on penetration, so it could be your chosen angle worsened your damage.

i shot it from every angle, i took that into account. distance as well

the average gun was the 9pdr armstrong

the ship in the photo was only called 5th rate

i cant remember the ships at the time, but yes, at least 1 hermione class, others where just called 5th rate and the rest some 6th rate