Game-Labs Forum

A world without Napoleon? It nearly happened!

Seaman Stains

What would the world have been like had the "Little Emperor" not come to power? It very nearly happened.

A French expedition was proposed in 1785 by Louis XVI to complete the Pacific discoveries of James Cook, correct and complete maps of the area, establish trade contacts, open new maritime routes, and enrich French science and scientific collections. Jean-Francois de Galaup, comte de Laperouse (1741-1788) was chosen to lead the expedition.

The two ships selected for the expedition were the Astrolabe (under Fleuriot de Langle) and the Boussole, both of 500 tons, both storeships reclassified as frigates for the occasion. Ten scientists were chosen, a botanist, a physicist, three naturalists, a geologist, and three illustrators.

One of the men who applied for the voyage was a 16 year old Corsican named Napoleon Bonaparte. Bonaparte, a second Lieutenant from Paris' military Academy at the time, made the preliminary list, but he was ultimately not chosen for the voyage and remained behind in France. At the time Bonaparte was interested in serving in the navy rather than the army because of his proficiency in mathematics and artillery, both valued skills on warships.

LaPerouse and his 220 men left Brest on 1 August 1785, rounded Cape Horn, investigated the Spanish colonial government in Chile, visited Easter Island, and became the first European to set foot on the island of Maui in the Sandwich Islands (present day Hawaii). He then sailed to Alaska, and down the West coast of America and visited California.

He then crossed the Pacific, and visited Macau, Korea, Japan and Russia.

He received letters asking him to investigate the settlement the British were establishing in New South Wales. He stopped at Samoa on the way, where an attack by natives saw 12 of his men killed.

He arrived off Botany Bay on 24 January, 1788, just as Captain Arthur Phillip was moving the colony from there to Port Jackson (present day Sydney). He stayed for 6 weeks, with cordial relations and trading amongst the Captains and French crews and the settlers. LaPerouse sent back letters to France, and left for New Caledonia, Santa Cruz, and the Solomons.

LaPerouse wrote that he expected to return to France by June 1789, but neither he nor his men were ever seen again. His ships were eventually discovered in waters off Vanikoro (Solomon Islands) in 1826.

What would the world have been like had Napoleon Bonaparte been on the voyage, and lost with the others?

Most of the information was taken from Wiki, but I live a few miles from the Sydney suburb of La Perouse, and have visited their museum on many occasions, marvelling at the ship models and paintings there. I'll try to upload some photos for you. Watch this space.

As a sixteen year old, I guess he wouldn't be fully developed anyway, and historically, in the age we are speaking of, persons were generally of shorter stature. But he was really short. "Napoleon syndrome" indeed!. "HMM...so, you won't let me on your little boat trip. I shall rule the world, then I will make you scrub decks forever"