Game-Labs Forum

Damage control

Zuikaku

Are there any plans to give us more detailed info on ship damage and maybe to give us some control of DC parties? Something like damage control minigame we got in Great naval battles? Something that the AI is handling by default but we can jump in and take over if we want to?

I think Great naval battles had the best damage model and damage control representation so far. From bouyancy levels , flooding magazines, counterflooding, fihting fires, pumping and repairing compartments and fixing turrets.

i whould Really like it, i think it's very interesting and a part of commanding a ship that is often overlooked in naval games, inspite of being one of the most important aspects.

however very detailed damage control is something that has more its place imo in a game where you have only 1 ship, in this game especially with the big engagement that i imagine will be more common in campaign, you can't be expected to individually manage the details of damage control for every single one of your 14 destroyers 4 cruisers and 3 BB at the same time, while also giving them fire and move orders, keeping an eye on their formation, checking for torpedoes ect... especially if it involves keeping an eye on how the damage situation and damge control develops over time for each ship. the AI should really be able to competently do it.

i think as a low priority feature it whould be nice, if there is enough developement time to do it or as a game update post release.

Edited by Accipiter
  • Like 1

Something I'd really, really appreciate seeing is better indication of the EFFECTS damage is having on my ships. 

1) If steering is damaged, I'd like some indication of WHAT that damage has done to my ship's ability to turn.

2) If engines are damaged, again, some indication of WHAT that damage is doing to my ship's max speed.

3) Does fire cause damage over time? its hard to tell.

I get that not knowing EXACTLY what damage is doing to a ship is part of the "fog-of-war" but as a gamer and mariner the lack of information is killing me. 

Like, in the event of a steering hit a tag indicating "limited to port" or "locked to starboard" would be a nice feature and would aid in managing multiple battle damaged vessels. 

As someone who has been a commercial sailor for the last few years, in the event of a steering failure the helmsman and the bridge crew will rapidly try to assess the limits of their maneuvering control so the conning officer will be able to make intelligent conning commands. The bridge/captain may not know exactly what is going on with a ship's maneuvering in the heat of the moment, but there will be some idea passed along. 

Similarly, engine damage/flooding/hull damage, there's some feedback in the vessel portraits about a negatively impacted speed, which is great, but without better (/more obvious) control of when those portraits are displayed, it is hard to know what a particular ship's limits or even get a good sense of them. 

In short, I'd really appreciate simple visual indicators giving a very general idea about damage effects, and I'd actually find it really cool if it took any where from half a minute to several minutes for the vessel's "crew" to assess and report that damage effect.

Also, I'm very unclear as to how much damage fires do to a ship. 

• Like 1