Game-Labs Forum

Just Survived My First Fredericksburg ... I Love This Game ... Even More!!

gonzo99

So, I experienced UG:G on my iPad, bought it on the Mac App Store. Loved it. Lurked on this forum and on the Steam forum.

Knew about UG:CW and got it for my Mac in July 2017 as far as I can tell from Steam profile info. Might have even been playing it on Steam running on wine, initially. Can't remember.

Started a BG Union play through but just didn't have the time to commit as life did its thing. Then had to migrate to a new computer. Lost my saves.

Recently I've had some spare time, so I started again on Colonel level as Union with UI & AI 1.6 mod. (Re)Learning the ropes.

Last night I fought Fredericksburg for the first time. O ... M ... F ... G!!!!! I got hammered, but I won. I only managed a kill:death ratio of 2:1 against the CSA. I was a little incautious, shall we say? But the scale of the thing was incredible!!! I could replay for a better result, but I'm not going to. On Colonel level I have plenty money and etc. I'll pay the price with cash. But it was an incredible experience. Can't wait to experience the rest of the game. I'll be going straight back in after I've finished this post.

I'm a previous user of Darth Mods in RTW and M2TW. This game (and UG:G) are everything I could have hoped for from such a pedigree.

Thank you Nick, and all at game labs for creating this and also pandakraut for the UI & AI mod.

Cheers,

gonzo99 :)

[EDIT] I forgot to add that this beats TW for battle AI by a long shot IMVHO :)[/EDIT]

Edited by gonzo99
  • Like 3

Hi,

Glad you enjoyed it. In April I will becoming up to my 1st year playing UG.

I agree with you. It is a fantastic game. All those involved deserve our thanks.

I’m using Apple iMac.

I started of by playing some of the single battles on BG level. As CSA and Union. One I understood the battle mechanics I started my 1st campaign. Started on BG as CSA. I managed to get as far as Gettysburg. I wasn’t expecting to win the campaign at my first attempt. So was pleased to get as far as I did. But I learned a lot in that campaign. I consider myself efficient on the battlefield. But it was when in barracks I really learned how to win a campaign. Time spent getting that right will provide dividends on the battlefield.

My second campaign was CSA on BG again. Now I knew more about being in barracks’s I fancied my chances. I’m pleased to say I did win the war. Though it was close. The Union troops threw everything at me when I was holding Washington. But just managed to hold. Amazing feeling 🎉🎊😬😏.

Since.I have played a Campaign on BG as the Union. This proved a lot easier. The only problem I encountered was trying to break the Rebs defensive position on the outskirts of Richmond. Most of their army was committed. By taking the victory conditions it meant the following day the Rebs did not have much left. Taking Richmond proved easy.

I have just started my 4th campaign on MG level as CSA. Proving more difficult. Not feeling over confident to be honest. But I will learn from what happens.

Enough of me. Back to UG.

This is by far the best ACW game available. I’m sure we could all come up with the odd thing we feel isn’t quite right. But so what.

I’m so grateful for those involved in UG for providing such a superb game. Though I think my wife would have a different view on those involved 🙃 !

Best of luck with your next battle/campaign.

Edited by contact
Error
  • Like 1

Hi contact!

We're obviously in agreement as to the quality of this game. I'm bloody-mindedly committed to finishing my first campaign. I've been watching playthroughs and such. I can see now that I will make different decisions in future with a longer term strategy. And that's just another thing I love about this game - I'm already planning my next campaign. Replayability!!! I'm looking forward to upping the difficulty and seeing if I've actually learned anything.

Good luck with your MG campign :)

Cheers,

gonzo99

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gonzo99 said:

Hi contact!

We're obviously in agreement as to the quality of this game. I'm bloody-mindedly committed to finishing my first campaign. I've been watching playthroughs and such. I can see now that I will make different decisions in future with a longer term strategy. And that's just another thing I love about this game - I'm already planning my next campaign. Replayability!!! I'm looking forward to upping the difficulty and seeing if I've actually learned anything.

Cheers,

gonzo99

Hiya

Total agreement with you.

Make sure you take your time in barracks. It was there I was sowing the seed for victory on the battlefield.

I found that once I knew (more or less). How the barracks works. You will find it handy in a battle.

Best of luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gonzo99 said:

Hi contact!

Cheers,

gonzo99

Hi

One very important piece of advise given to me was :-

“Keep beating the Union with a stick”  From Pandakraut.

It keeps the size of their army down !

Best wishes

• Like 1