Game-Labs Forum

Port Battle and RvR rework suggestion

I know it's late in the game development wise but perhaps this suggestion would be of some use.

The PvP events weren't really that wonderful in my opinion.  However, those mechanics could be applied to general RvR with a slight twist.  Instead of one instanced battle to determine a region through a PB, how about making each region a point scoring zone for several days.  The highest point scorer wins. Points would be scored by obviously sinking other players.  However the trick is motivate people to be in this zone.

How passive points are scored.  Once a player enters the contested region, they'll score points over time based on BR. ((Perhaps this will be in the form of a "patrol" button that takes 10 minutes on the sea to light up and resets on docking)) Maybe tied to "days at sea" so that dock hopping isn't encouraged.  The points over time caps at some BR level (possibly based on region size?) for each nation.  The problem with this idea might be calls back and forth to the server and updates to map points sort of how contention takes a while to update each players map.

Shallow areas on OW allow safety for shallow ship BR point generation from larger ships.  Obviously battles near forts help defense as typical.  No npc generation of points, only player controlled though patrolling the zone or sinking ships of the opposing nation.  The one nation with most points after X days wins the region.

Example:  Region Dominia has been flipped.  I patrol solo in my 100BR ship.  Once I'm in the region, i score 1 point per 15 minutes in the zone.  My friends join making our total BR 2150 BR but the cap is 1000BR so only 10 points are scored per 15 minutes.  Then the enemy fleet arrives and battles ensues with each side losing 1000BR worth in ships.  That scores 1000 points for each side.  Three days later the contested area ends and the enemy wins 23,540 points to 21,550 points.

Pros:

No more hiding in instances.

Screening is basically counted in points.  No need to fear of a PB fleet being tagged.

Multiday event-style allows more participants.

Contested regions become hot zones for pvp.  Even other nations might join in although no points are scored.

Cons:

Strain on calls to and from server and UI updayes.

Larger nations may still have the advantage. (Although they'd risk more BR sinking thus more points might be scored by better smaller teams).

Some people like arena style combat.  Maybe this puts less people on OW and more into NA Legends.

Discuss but please leave drama at the door.

Edited by Dharus

I would add a few additions.

1. Points do not start accruing until after being stationary in the zone for 15 min. Otherwise you have multiple calls to the database just for someone sailing up the coast.

2. Best if it is a port based instead of region based due to instances where you have 2 opposing fleets at different ends of a zone. Though it may prompt either side to go hunting when they notice that the points are not changing.

It might be possible to have a "fishing" like button to start "patrolling zone".  It turns off when entering port and its on a timer when exiting any port.  That probably would be better.

The reason for it being regional based is because of the current contention system.  To save on coding time and implementation, you'd use the same methods in the coding for contention for flipping.  In a PvP fight within the regional zone, the server calculates BR sunk and scores points much like the PvP events did.  Instead of points per player, its by nation.