Game-Labs Forum

Union Win

Beruldsen

Playing as the Union on Normal (BG) I finally managed to take all those Richmond forts at a cost of half my army ... but it did feel good getting the win.  I must say I think all those Richmond forts is a bit much ... I'd seriously request the re-do of the final battle.  The first part of taking all the trenches is ok ... but I think once this is accomplished there should be a plummeting of CSA morale ... and then taking a fort of two and finally marching into Richmond and some sort of surrender.  

But aside from that ... a great, great game!  The mechanics and game engine have a ton of potential ... I really look forward to the developers' next endeavor.   In the meantime ... time to play as the CSA.

In the next day or so ... I'll note more complete comments and suggestions but first I need to get off my saddle and rest a bit....

UG Win.jpg

First off congratulations for beating the game. 

Second I disagree with the proposed changes.  The forward positions are perimeter defenses only and its loss should not cause a plummet of CSA morale.  The CSA army was still ready to fight even after the loss of major positions at Petersburg and even the abandonment of Richmond.  In fact I believe the CSA would fight their hardest as this battle determines the fate of their nation.  The forts are the last line of defense for the CSA and are meant to be strong.  The only way to force the enemy to surrender would be to win an overwhelming victory via taking strategic positions (the forts) like Grant did except instead of forts he did it with cutting off the CSA from reinforcements and their supplies and/or crush the enemy army completely.  All in all, the battle of Richmond is fine as it is IMO

You get a chance to render the fort fight fairly easy if you inflict massive punishment on the trenches.  IMHO you should be hyper aggressive in pounding every unit you can find to dust.  Normally I would do a cost benefit decisions based on my losses vs what was left to kill.  In this case the decision is easy.  Every shattered brigade is something not in your way at the forts.  The trenches are on big encirclement battle in my view.  I charge routing units to try and force as many surrenders as possible as well.

Sure ... but once you take out a few forts you can move directly into the city ... thereby bypassing most of them (and a surrounded fort is a dead fort).  I had a 30k advantage going into the final fort stage (after trenches) so taking out all the forts was never in doubt ... just seemed a lack of creativity in design.

The frustrating part of Richmond is the opening day and how reinforcements just pop up in random places on my rear. 

I've beaten the damn thing on every level, but my first time on Colonel was probably the hardest just because I didn't know where to spawn camp.