Game-Labs Forum

Free camera auto-rotation and unnatural rolling ship movement

Anolytic

Okay,
So I’ve been doing a bit of naval photography on the live server while waiting for the wipe and I’ve come across a couple of things. They are both shown in the recording below.

The first issue is ships that are jerking rather than rolling on the waves when laying still or rolling sideways in the waves. As you can see below, my Santa Cecilia is laying still, but its movements in response to the waves are jerky rather than smooth. 
I thought that this might be to do with lag, ping or my computer, but I had steady ping and 55-60 FPS the whole time, and I tested and reproduced it on two computers. I also have at least one friend who confirms the same issue. Further indicating that it is not simple lag is the fact that if you look closely, there is no corresponding jerking motion in the rest of the scene. The waves on the water move smoothly. It is just the ship that can’t keep up it appears. First time I observed it I thought it had to do with that I had sailed too far into the shallows at the beach, but I tested it in deeper water too.

Second observation. 
When pointing the free camera straight down, it will rotate slightly without any input. You can see it quite clearly in the video where I am looking straight down at a pier in a harbour. Appart from the slight jerk in the video just when I let go of the mouse the rotation is all without any input. Since the camera cannot be pointed absolutely straight down this messes with my camera aim when looking from above and recording something. It’s not a huge deal, but for the particular shot I was trying to record, it made it impossible. I have reproduced this too on two different computers. I have not fully tested it yet, but I have an unconfirmed suspicion/theory that this effect is more evident when camera is facing from north to south than south to north. If that is the case I might be able to circumvent the issue by rotating my video 180 degrees after recording it.

Recording:
Edited by Anolytic
Forgot to add link to the video

[Anolytic]  

The jerky ship is similar to the Twitchy post on the test bed I did. My first thought was "packet loss". I ruled that out of my internet connection. The problem got steadily worse with more interaction. Do the same test in a 1v1 mission.  

After first contact, it became worse. The other issue was “Jumping”. So, the ship would fast forward like in a movie to a different position like it was catching up.  Again, a sort of a Packet Loss type of issue.  

The problem seems for to have gone since the last nVidia driver update patch.  

Norfolk.

5 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

The other issue was “Jumping”. So, the ship would fast forward like in a movie to a different position like it was catching up.  Again, a sort of a Packet Loss type of issue. 

The jumping ship (usually in OW), catching up and then slowing down, happens to me only when there's a ping-issue. When my ping is unstable I get that too, and it's synchronised more or less with how my ping jumps up and down.

6 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

The problem seems for to have gone since the last nVidia driver update patch.  

I did my tests and recorded my video after downloading the latest nVidia-driver.

• Like 1