Game-Labs Forum

Hood now Serves the Union

The Soldier

E736088809B814E8672890C590A94D029573A0EA

Heh.

One of the wonderful bugs from the last patch, not sure if this was fixed in the most recent one though.  After the battle of Seven Pines, I was going through the battle report when I noticed something.  I had John Abercrombie and John Hood listed as Wounded - nothing out of the ordinary, since Abercrombie was part of the AI's force at this battle, and had captured Hood's brigade in the same battle, and the game will show the fates of all officers involved in the battle if they belonged to you by the end of it, including AI officers and officers from captured enemy units (if you didn't notice during the Seven Pines minor battle, by the way, Hood is indeed there, as is Pettigrew, the man we all remember from UGG and his massive brigade).  However, as I reviewed my Army and my Barracks before Gaines' Mill, I noticed something - both Abercrombie and Hood were in my Barracks, though Wounded.  I have no idea why the game decided to gift me these two officers on this occasion, as I've captured a dozen brigades before this in other battles and had just as many AI officers get Wounded.  After John Bell Hood convalesced during the Battle of Gaines Mill, I of course I proceeded to give him his own Federal Texas Brigade after such a gracious turnover, though he still wore his Confederate uniform despite my protests.  And of course he was killed at Malvern Hill, his first battle as a Union commander, and I didn't have a save file close enough to scum from reasonably.  The game giveth, and it taketh away I suppose.  The fate of the Federal Texas Brigade ended up being ignominious - I disbanded the battered buggers and used them to reinforce another brigade using the 0 Recruits trick.  They took staggering casualties at Chancellorsville, near some 1700 men killed starting from 2500 (ending with around 800 men because of medicine), I'm surprised they didn't Shatter, as they were on the left flank taking one helluva beating from Stonewall Jackson before I combined another brigade with them to keep them on the line.

Abercrombie suffered the same fate as John Bell Hood, Killed in Action, but I assigned him as a Divisional Commander from the start, so he's left nothing behind of his legacy.

Also happened with a Union Divisional Commander from the Battle of Salem Church, a Major General John Newton.  Double-checked the Union Order of Battle at Chancellorsville on Wikipedia to make sure he was actually there, and he was indeed there, Sedgwick's 3rd Division.  I could find no trace of this Major General serving under any other brigades, nor did I buy him from the Government and Major Generals aren't available for purchase in the Shop.  I also don't believe Newton is a standard last name that generates with new officers, so I couldn't have picked him up at a lower rank and have him earn a pair of stars.  This time, he's actually still alive in my army and I have a save file for that. :) Funnily enough, he was also wounded at Salem Church in real life.

554D8317C9BCCFEBCD5910C068AE52CE7DEE4E2D

All-around amusing bug.

Edited by The Soldier
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, william1993 said:

what is the 0 recruits trick

Use all the recruits from your pool, then disband a unit and those recruits will have the exact stats of that unit (you can check recruit stats by hovering over the Recruits label in the top right corner) and then adding more men to another brigade via using Recruits instead of Veterans.