Game-Labs Forum

Gettysburg, July 4

Garyjd

Has anyone chosen to go on the offensive as the Union player on July 4? Though I won the battle, the  risk (more casualties) verses reward was not worth it. Besides capturing additional weapons and or prisoners what else can be gained?

You don't even necessarily need to go on the offensive so to speak. If you have cavalry on the map, once the CSA infantry engages your front line, you just swing a cavalry brigade or two behind the enemy lines to capture the VP.

One thing that is clear, since I've looked through the log files, is that several CSA brigades field Fayettevilles by default, so making the battle last longer to trade 1855s for Fayettevilles is usually a good thing to do when you're in 100% cover.

14 minutes ago, Wandering1 said:

You don't even necessarily need to go on the offensive so to speak. If you have cavalry on the map, once the CSA infantry engages your front line, you just swing a cavalry brigade or two behind the enemy lines to capture the VP.

One thing that is clear, since I've looked through the log files, is that several CSA brigades field Fayettevilles by default, so making the battle last longer to trade 1855s for Fayettevilles is usually a good thing to do when you're in 100% cover.

Thanks. I pretty much got the impression from the scenario that the Union player could go on the offensive of let the clock run out. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Of course in the real battle, Mr. Lincoln was just a bit put off by the fact that Meade didn't press his advantage.  Haven't played to July 4th as yet, and since the game doesn't presume to display weather, it has been Historically Recorded that there was heavy rain at times all day long on the 4th of July 1863.  So until the game includes weather as an element of the game ...