Game-Labs Forum

Drawing on Malvern Hill? (CSA)

Strangelove

The battle of Malvern Hill is a potentially great way to either A ) throw away a whole bunch of men into a meatgrinder, or B ) potentially lose a bunch of men executing some strange wide flanking maneuver. The issue is that the strongest point of the Union line is required for a draw - after you break that line, you've essentially already broken the Union force, and so taking the next two objs. are a piece of cake. However, even to draw, you must take North Malvern Hill - unless you have been playing some very strange delaying game and only launched a full attack towards the rear end of the battle, I'm not entirely sure how to draw on Malvern Hill!

This is especially considering the nature of the battle as the Confederacy pins Union forces as they are trying to end the Peninsular campaign. Perhaps a simple "% more casualties" above some absolute number could constitute a draw?

The strangest thing is that even historically, the Union lines held strong and the rebs just got ripped apart by concentrated artillery - but the political ramifications were the Confederacy claiming a great blow struck with the end of the campaign and Malvern Hill forever staining McClellan's reputation (even ignoring his absence from the first half of the battle).

Should there be a different way to draw?

(Difficulty reference I am using is Legendary.)

I think MH on Legendary must be impossible!

But in the other modes, the best way to take North MH is to flank it from the south, west, or east (or a combination). By that point you have got the other MH points easily. So I think it is a bit... unusual in setup. But this battle is designed to be challenging so that 2nd Manassas is not a total cakewalk, I think.

On legendary MH can be beaten with less than 9000 / 10000 casualties by sending 8 of your best brigades around the river, even though you must keep a decent force in the north-west to pin down the Union and complete your pincer. It's actually a great scenario to practice your flanking moves.

Your real problem is gonna be Antietam, not MH. 

2 hours ago, Squadron HQ said:

I think MH on Legendary must be impossible!

But in the other modes, the best way to take North MH is to flank it from the south, west, or east (or a combination). By that point you have got the other MH points easily. So I think it is a bit... unusual in setup. But this battle is designed to be challenging so that 2nd Manassas is not a total cakewalk, I think.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/93850730499204090/D3A736FB5F762CBA66FFEFDDFF4B43F8030B11F1/

:D

On legendary MH can be beaten with less than 9000 / 10000 casualties by sending 8 of your best brigades around the river, even though you must keep a decent force in the north-west to pin down the Union and complete your pincer. It's actually a great scenario to practice your flanking moves.

Your real problem is gonna be Antietam, not MH. 

I like to flank from both sides, my best division on the left, my worst divisions in the center and about 6-8 division with cavalry on the right.

Attack the forest fortification from both directions while the cav distracts and kills cannon batteries. The units in the forest fortification usually get fulled wiped or captured, after that  it's pretty easy to push the capture point from there.

My elite forces in the left will come in to mop up for free kills because the AI will usually go berserk to cap the point back. Snipers are awesome for this map because you can do so much damage to them from the left flank. Two units of skirmishers can probably get 2000 kills a piece. 

Edited by clench