Game-Labs Forum

captured weapons

sonnypemberton

So I just finished Malvern hill as CSA on hard - I captured 5050 men, and got over 25k kills, but all I ended up with is less than 3000 Springfield m1855s as far as captured. the rescued guns were bits and pieces here and there.

So at this point, money and men are not an issue on hard, its weapons. I am a competent general and can do better on hard than most people I see on youtube do on easy or normal, but I DONT know how I will equip my army if captures yield nothing and we have only 10% drops from kills.

I know it has been said before, but I think almost, if not ALL, captures should yield weapons.

(sorry for captured screenshot, mouse was hovering in the wrong spot to show m1855 numbers)

20170118122627_1.jpg

20170118122619_1.jpg

First of all, those are really good results for Malvern Hill. Well done.

Thematically it makes sense you wouldn't get 100% capture, as many fleeing opponents threw down their weapons as they ran away.... and they just magically get them back if their side liberates them.......Don't overanalyze I guess???

More importantly, from a gameplay perspective, it makes sense that weapons should be hard to come by. They've subtlely made the game much harder for Major General difficulty- no farming and massacreing enemies after objectives taken, harder to capture enemies, and lower weapons yield from capturing. On this difficulty, you have to choose between veterans and guns. Unlike the easier difficulties, there just is not enough money to go around no matter how well you do. I like this dynamic because it forces you into similar economic situations that the real Confederates had to deal with. 

The one "flavor" mechanic I would like is if you could capture weapons at battles like Ambush Convoy and Manassas Depot. I know the excess supplies get put straight into more money, but it would be more fun/ thematic to increase your weapons in the armory. 

I agree with Wright29 and additionally you can get a lot of rifles from the government via reputation points, which is not necessary at all on Brigadier general difficulty.

@Wright29 And don't forget Weapons Depot = Harpers Ferry Arsenal, about 13,000 small arms and 73 artillery pieces captured, but the paroled Union soldiers got all available food ;).

But such a price in a minor battle would very likely mess up the game balance.