Game-Labs Forum

Forever in Melee?

Kevlarburrito

Something weird and exceedingly annoying I have noticed is the propensity for infantry units in melee to continue charging through lines, inflicting ZERO casualties to enemy infantry units while taking A TON of casualties of their own, till they get behind the enemy lines and their either completely rout or surrender. All of this occurs while they are at a breaking point. They become completely uncontrollable when it begins and stays that way throughout the entire time. Is this a feature? It's almost like the unit charges 1 enemy unit and then if there is another unit behind or occupying the same ground, believes there is one giant unit and tries to pass through all of them. It makes zero sense for an entire battalion to charge, or get charged, fight a melee, and then after their morale drops advance THROUGH the enemy lines until they completely rout, get annihilated, or find themselves at the back end of the map.

Anyone else experience this?

One useful tip to prevent a unit from going on a solo rampage is to press the ''fallback" command whenever u feel it's been far enough into ennemy lines. They won't pull back immediately but after a few seconds they'll disengage and provided they haven't routed at that point you can gain control over them once more. 

If your unit is the one being charged you can also use the hold command so they dont go too far in pursuit, also takes a bit f time to trigger.

Finally if you see they're really not responsive to these commands u can give a movement order to pull them out (although it expose them to rear shots)

13 hours ago, Kevlarburrito said:

Something weird and exceedingly annoying I have noticed is the propensity for infantry units in melee to continue charging through lines, inflicting ZERO casualties to enemy infantry units while taking A TON of casualties of their own, till they get behind the enemy lines and their either completely rout or surrender. All of this occurs while they are at a breaking point. They become completely uncontrollable when it begins and stays that way throughout the entire time. Is this a feature? It's almost like the unit charges 1 enemy unit and then if there is another unit behind or occupying the same ground, believes there is one giant unit and tries to pass through all of them. It makes zero sense for an entire battalion to charge, or get charged, fight a melee, and then after their morale drops advance THROUGH the enemy lines until they completely rout, get annihilated, or find themselves at the back end of the map.

Anyone else experience this?

I've seen it, it's something they've repeatedly tried to fix from what I can tell. It doesn't happen very much any more FWIW. They're totally uncontrollable when it happens because they're partially routing already, I get your frustration.

It happened so bad to me on the minor battle when you have the two boats and you have to attack the CSA uphill.. forget what it's called.

One of my entire 2000 troop 3 star brigades was meleeing a canon, then got charged by enemy cavalry, followed by multiple enemy brigades. It routed and pulled through the massive blob of enemies and shrunk to less than 800 men and I restarted the battle. :(

This was before the last hotfix that claimed to fix this however. 

I have occasionally had this same problem. I just played the battle of Antietam as the Union and one of my units retreated across the Church checkpoint through enemy units. This may have been because I surrounded the objective and it didn't know where to rout to. I have yet to test it extensively, but it does feel like units retreat into better directions with the most recent patch. Two minor battles and the rest of Antietam went without a weird retreating incident.

10 minutes ago, CaptainKanundrum said:

I have occasionally had this same problem. I just played the battle of Antietam as the Union and one of my units retreated across the Church checkpoint through enemy units. This may have been because I surrounded the objective and it didn't know where to rout to. I have yet to test it extensively, but it does feel like units retreat into better directions with the most recent patch. Two minor battles and the rest of Antietam went without a weird retreating incident.

On one of my older games, I had a unit defending Dunker Church get charged and rout through enemy lines, through the enemy forces camped outside Sunken Road (taking damage the whole time), and finally unrout on hitting the river on the east side. They had basically nothing left, and to add insult to injury, every time I started trying to move them, another enemy unit walked over and put a couple volleys into them so they'd rout again endlessly into the river and they eventually shattered.