Game-Labs Forum

Newbie Player with Newbie Questions

CSX4451

Been playing the game over the past week and I love it. Still trying to figure things out as I go and have only played on easy as the CSA. I made it to day 2 of Second Manassas but keep getting my Corps kicked of Stoney Ridge every time!!! Definitely need to strengthen my regiments to 2k and maybe a 3 division corps??? I usually have each division with 3 Infantry / 1 Arty. I haven't really used the cavalry that much. Will work on this battle.

On to my questions that I searched but couldn't find the answers.

1. Please explain the AI you can select for your units and how it works

2. How do I get individual units ( infantry and artillery) to directly attack or fire on specific units. The thought right click on my unit then the unit to attack but it doesn't seem to highlight the enemy unit.

3. What do you consider the optimum make up of a Corp, Division, Regt?

4. Does the arty AI decide if it's firing canister or medium / long rage shot based on the unit its firing on or is it player controlled ? 

5. Supply size....how much is enough or too much for each corp?

6. It seems whenever I move my units and I come back to them when they arrive from the move and left click my unit direction l> seems to always point to the rear. Is the arrow the direction of fire or the fromt of the unit?

7. Is there a way to have a unit tactically fallback while firing vs just running away or turn or back on the enemy?

8. On the maps....what are the EYEs on the maps...I assume they are some sort of observation point but not sure how to use them. 

9. Can I decommission Corps, Divisions, Regiments to transfer them to other Corps or Divisions ? If so...how?

Thanks for any guidance or assistance!!!!!!

CSX

Quick answers to some of your questions:

4. Shell types is based on range to the target in question. Given that the AI tries to maximize damage if you leave it alone and not micro it, it will attempt to use the appropriate shell time to maximize casualties.

5. There's a maximum of 25k supply built in. This supply, if you use a lot of artillery, still runs out in the later battles because of the amount of supply that artillery consumes.

6. The arrow is the front of the unit. Right-click, hold, and drag to orient your unit.

7. Use the fallback button (f). This will automatically have your unit run away from the enemy.

8. Eyes on the maps are observation points. Just move a unit under them and it will light up the associated area. Like say, your general.

9. Regiments you can transfer by click-drag. Divisions, to my knowledge, you cannot disband. Click the skull on the top right of the unit window to disband a unit.

2. Yes, right click is how you do it. If in range they'll shoot them preferentially/rotate to do so. If out of range they will try to advance to shoot them. Be careful, especially with skirmishers they may get stupid and try to force melee instead.

3. See other topic:

4. Automatically decided based on range.

5. There's no such thing as too much supply, though you can get away with less by turning off artillery during long range fire and playing minimum size to avoid having to kill quite so much.

7. The fallback button but it doesn't quite control the direction they run in. The better thing to do is watch for when the enemy fires, then immediately afterwards toggle run and draw your unit back so they don't get shot in the back.

Thanks for all the info....

As for arty....how may guns can an arty unit actually deploy with. It's seems you can staff them with 1 piece up to 20+ but how many can actually take the field per individual unit.

also regarding equipping units with weapons. Can you mix match the rifles or does each unit have to have the same weapon. Seems I can't figure out how to full equip units with rifles unless I use only the same rifle. Seems you should be able to mix and match .....unless I'm missing something.

thanks again

I haven't seen a limit of cannons in a single brigade, maybe due to cannon cost, but there are times (in the side battles) that you don't always get multiple brigades of cannons, and no you can not mix weapons in a single brigade. one reason you can only outfit a single brigade with same rifle is damage calculations. I would think that would be understandable.