Game-Labs Forum

Buildable Fortifications

Knuckl

I love the game so far!   I am still learning the ins and outs.  Played through the Easy Union Campaign and am working on a Confederate and Union Normal difficulty now.

One thing I was wondering about was being able to give your units the option to "Dig In."  If anyone has played the old Robert E. Lee: Civil War General games there was an option to have your men entrench themselves.

I don't have the first idea about how difficult it is to code games, so I'm not even sure if this is a feasible task.  Just looking for input.

Thanks!

• Like 1

First off, welcome to the game. 

Second, this is one of those great ideas that has been mentioned from time to time. I would expect it to be addressed at some point, but there's a laundry list of things they are working on at this time. 

They have a plan, and for sound and logical reasons they don't want to tell us what it is, but Nick and his boys sure as hell seem to be gettin' stuff done. 

• Like 1

My thoughts on "buildable fortifications" is this:   It's rather hard and lots of math involved in deforming the terrain from implied shoveling.   If left to the player, there is no telling where or how or in what shape fortifications could be dug, or trees cut and laid down.  To have a subroutine sitting there assessing the topography of the map, and then to deform said map into whatever shape the player is attempting I think puts an tremendous strain on the program and the systems trying to run the game to the point that I think it would be almost impossible to get something like this to actually take place.

I even doubt that if "buildable fortifications" were program controlled it would still be a massive undertaking to make it work.   As much as I'd like to see something like this implemented, as well as the ability to engineer pontoon bridges and the like, I feel it's just flat out beyond doing.  :(

• Like 1

My opinion is that the goal of this game is to put your army that you create into the historical scenarios that many of the corps commanders were in (this idea kind of goes away by Antietam where the whole army is under your control, bit the spirit remains). The advisor intro is your commanding general telling you what to do. He gets to make the decisions where the fortifications go and which range of hills to attack or defend. In short, you are in a scenario that is based on history. It is your job to spring out of the ground right before battle starts and deal with the immediate terrain provided to you in the scenario. 

Thanks for the feedback guys! 

I figured it would be a tough thing to implement.  It won't stop me from playing the game though!  Can't wait to try to the patch that just came out.  Going to get after it quite a bit this weekend :)

I think it would be easier to allow the map to have more areas that could be used as "fortified positions". In that stone walls, some fences, forests, boulders, hills, and buildings, could all have the option to garrison men in them. The coding is already there, the graphics and mechanics already there, all that needs to be done is to place more of those points on the map. 

• Like 1